2010 State Fair Gallery

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This time of year is the when many states and counties celebrate with large fairs. ; New York's starts tomorrow and runs for 12 days. ; If you attend your state's fair, I invite you to post your photos to this thread. Fairs have awesome photo opportunities. I'll kick things off with this photo I took on the Midway last year.

[​IMG]
    State Fair Midway Rides by Scottwdw, on Flickr

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Scott! ; I'm working at our county fair this year (late September), so I don't know if I'll have time for photography. ; If not, I'll dig out some shots I took a couple of years ago.

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I made three trips to the Indiana State Fair this year. ; No really "creative" shots, but lots of documentary-type shots.

For my fellow steam fans, here are a couple of shots of a traction engine powering a sawmill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots everyone. ; I am not going to make any fairs this year, but I will have to see where and when Florida has one that I might be able to get to.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Those old steam tractors are really neat. ; The volunteer fire department in my town hosts a gas engine show every year as a fund raiser and they used to have one or two steam tractors in addition to all of the antique gas powered tractors. ; Watching the guys operate the steam tractors was always fun.

6. ddindy

Here's a rather interesting contraption I found at the Indiana State Fair:

[​IMG]

In case you can't read the sign on the side, it's powered by an S.M. Jones 20 h.p. field engine. ; Somebody had waaaaaaaay too much free time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This year's NY State Fair sand sculpture is The Beatles - 1964. ; This was taken on the Fair's third day. ; Should be finished by Wednesday of this week.

[​IMG]

Remember these?

[​IMG]

Llama but not an evil one.

[​IMG]

Tommy Shaw from Styx jamming on stage.

[​IMG]

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I got the spokesperson, Yolando Vega, for the NY Lottery all to myself for a short photo session (oh, about 3 minutes).

[​IMG]

Some of the best marinated BBQ chicken in the world, IMHO. ; The 1/2 Dinner from Baker's Chicken Coop from the NY State Fair's restaurant row. ; Been there for over 65 years.

[​IMG]

The hungry giraffe in the Infield petting zoo.

[​IMG]

Heading back to the Fair tomorrow night to try and catch Lady Antebellum for the free concert. ; Should be a mad house as they booked them before they hit it big.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Lady Antebellum in concert at the NY State Fair. ; Not a bad concert for a $6 advanced sale ticket. ; In a place that normally gets around 5,000 people, they estimated around 30,000 watched from around the Chevrolet Court area. ;

[​IMG]
    Nikon D700/70-200VR, 1/200s, f/4, ISO 450, EV -1.3, 200mm focal length, spot metering

Sweet shot at ISO 6400!
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/70-200VR, 1/100s, f/4.5, ISO 6400, EV -0.3, 200mm focal length

10. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Nice concert shots there Scott. ; Making me look forward to next weekend!

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

What's next weekend for you, Roger? ; The key to these photos was spot metering and then dialing in the exposure with the EV button. ; Interestingly, I had to make sure Charles Kelly was the one I exposed for. ; He's the one on the right in the first photo. ; His skin was much lighter than the other two and reflected the spotlights the brightest.

12. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://ghosttownhoot.com/

Ghost Town Hootenanny

The entrance fee is for charity, but the spectators are *encouraged* to take pics. ; And the local shop is having a photo contest to boot!

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Scott, you are making that d700 sing! great shots!

cool steam engine shots too!

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Sounds like a Hoot (you knew that was coming). ; Well, partner, you best get ready for the shootout. ; Not sure how experienced you are with photographing bands but here are a couple of articles I found useful.

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/rock-concerts-photography

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-photograph-rock-concerts

I didn't follow all the suggestions as I did not use Manual mode last night but Aperture Priority or Program mode.

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Craig! ; I still have a lot to learn about it. ; This weekend will be another learning experience at WDW.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's the last set of photos from the NY State Fair for this year. ; Went in last night to wander around. ; Had my last piece of pie and ice cream...

[​IMG]

Watched a guy trying to figure out his camera to take a photo of the butter sculpture which you can see in the reflection.

[​IMG]

Ate some Pizze Frittes.

[​IMG]

Looked but did not eat what fried stuff was being sold.

[​IMG]

Walked down the Midway for the last time.

[​IMG]

Stopped and saw this young woman waiting impatiently for her boyfriend to get off a ride.

[​IMG]

It was hot and humid even into the night. ; Guess I am ready to head south and see what I can see at WDW this weekend. ; See you next week or follow me on Twitter @Scottwdw

17. Paul

Paul Member

Nice work Scott, like that reflection shot! ; I'm hoping to get to the Big E this year, we'll see. ; Have fun in WDW.

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Scott! ;

19. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Great pics!

20. ddindy

Here are a few more from the Indiana State Fair.

One of the displays was a 25 ft tall statue of the famous American Gothic painting called God Bless America.

[​IMG]

Just the thing to plow your garden. ; Today's special price: ; $274,669

[​IMG]

You can't have a fair without a fair queen: ; here's Denae Pyle in the daily tractor parade.

[​IMG]

In the same parade, here is a group of county fair queens spreading a little, er, love from a McCormick-Deering model 200 honey wagon.

[​IMG]