After protesting gun rule, Disney guard is fired

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by highland3, Jul 8, 2008.

1. highland3

highland3 Member

After protesting gun rule, Disney guard is fired
    Scott Powers

Orlando Sentinel Staff Writer

July 8, 2008

Walt Disney World fired a security guard on Monday after he protested the company's decision not to allow people with concealed weapons permits to keep guns in their cars on Disney property.

Disney terminated Edwin Sotomayor, 36, of Orlando for violating three Disney employee policies, essentially for failing to cooperate with an internal investigation, said spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez. Sotomayor vowed to continue his fight.

At issue is Florida's new law that allows people with concealed weapons permits to keep firearms in their vehicles in employee parking lots.

Disney advised its employees late last month that the theme-park resort is exempt from that state law, and that they may not bring firearms onto the property. Disney stated that its gun policy is based on safety concerns for visitors and employees.

Sotomayor alerted local media last week that he intended to challenge Disney's claim of an exemption to the new law by bringing a gun to work, locked in his vehicle. When he showed up for work at Disney's Animal Kingdom on Friday, he declined to let Disney authorities search his car. Disney suspended him pending an investigation, then fired him Monday.

Sotomayor expressed distress about the end of his 13-year career at Disney, but not regret. He said he expects the security guards' union, Security Police & Fire Professionals of America Amalgamated Local 603, to challenge his termination, and he intends to continue his own challenge of Disney World's gun policy.

"I am not going to stop this fight," he said. "This is going to end somewhere good."

The security guards' union, Local 603, would not comment, referring inquiries to Disney World.

2. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

Hmm...well, not that I agree or disagree with either the guard or Disney for that matter.......but......going against the BIG MOUSE, how far is he really going to get??? ; Will he actually make a difference to anything? ; (ok, so I know it isn't good just to stick your head in the sand either). ; Don't know what the real answer is or should be, any opinions???

3. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Anyone who wants to bring a gun to work will. Laws or not.
    Personally don't see the need to have a weapon at work unless your jobs specifically calls for one.
    Law enforcement, military, highs school teacher, bus driver, humungus etc.

[​IMG]

4. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

This guy wants a confrontation he's doing it to get his 15 minutes of fame I hope he gets crushed. It's one thing to stand up for your rights but you have to pick your battles. I don't think this is one worth fighting for.

5. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member