Animal Kingdom night photo meet Dec. 2

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by ddindy, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

For those of you who are arriving early for PixelMania, ScottWDW and I are hosting a night photo meet at Animal Kingdom during evening Extra Magic Hours on Wednesday, December 2. ; If you're interested in joining us, let us know on this thread.

Note that since this is an Extra Magic Hours meet, you must have a key card from one of the participating resorts in addition to your park ticket.

We will meet at the Fastpass machines for It's Tough To Be A Bug at 4:30. ; Since my flight doesn't arrive until late afternoon, Scott will be in charge until I arrive (and probably for some time after that).

We'll be wandering around, taking shots of all of the iconic landmarks, and maybe sneaking in a ride on Expedition Everest. ; Sunset is at 5:28 pm and the full moon rises at at 5:51 pm. ; The park closes at 8:00 pm.

Watch this thread for further updates.

See you there!

2. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

That sounds like fun- I'm interested for sure.

3. gary

gary Member

f8 and i'll be there

4. jermsworld

jermsworld Member

I hope to be there. ; Hoping to check out Ice!! at Gaylord Palms before heading over.

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i will be having fun vicariously thru my fellow tmip'ers. ; be sure to fly the colors and represent proudly!

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Will do, Tim! ;

7. gary

gary Member

ya know, the fun doesn't have to stop at 8:00, those with enough energy left could head to the fort wilderness campground, those campers do it up right for christmas, there are some phenomenal tripod shots to be had there, straight bus shot over from ak, right to the 100,200,300,700 loops, and resort transpo out is easy ; esp if mk is having mcvmcp, just boat on over and grab resort buses

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I'll be with Tim, living through the rest of you that night.

9. ddindy

Great idea, Gary.

10. ddindy

We're planning to meet at the It's Tough To Be A Bug Fastpass location at 4:30. ; Since my flight doesn't arrive until late afternoon, Scott will be taking charge for the first hour or so.

One of the first photo stops will be at Flame Tree BBQ for sunset shots of Everest. ; If you have photo suggestions, please post them. ; I'm sure there will be lots of spontaneous opportunities as well.

11. gary

gary Member

i have to get a night time tree of life, it's the only iconic i don't have on the wall at 16x20, must get this at all costs

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Gary, I want one of those, too. Definitely on the shot list for the meet.

13. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

This is a shot I have always wanted to try again- maybe if I get that Sigma 12-24 before then. ; It's very very dark back on that trail and I think impossible to get the waterfall reasonably exposed and not blow out the tree that is illuminated. ; Probably try an HDR of some sort if I get the chance.

http://www.capturelifeinaction.com/photos/222146695_BfoaY-O.jpg

14. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Ohh, I wish I were going. ; I have an awesome idea for that scene! ; I guess it'll have to wait until our honeymoon (now I just have to figure out where the heck that trail is)...

15. ddindy

Beautiful shot, Jeff. ; Definitely a candidate for HDR.

Maybe we can come up with some way of lighting up the waterfall on a long exposure. ; Everybody bring an LED flashlight!

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Maybe a strobist solution could be found. ; I'll have an SB-600 to lend to the lighting.

17. ddindy

I'll have my SB-800 with me, but wouldn't the strobe freeze the waterfall rather than giving that wonderful ethereal effect of a long exposure? ; Is there some technique that you know and will teach us all?

18. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I think I did strobe it a feqw times last time and it did not do much. ; It was a while ago and I probably messed it all up. ; I was thinking of trying to do it at dusk instead of after it was completely dark.

The trail is behind the tree at the movie exit by the way.

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Modeling flash? ; (just a thought)

20. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Remember the Tree of Life animal hunt is one of the main Animal Kingdom events on DAK day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.