Anyone else getting random 404 errors when entering the forum?

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by ELinder, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ELinder

ELinder Member

For the last week or so I've been getting random 404 page not found messages when using the same bookmark I've used for months on my iPad. Anyone else?

Erich

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

No issues here.

3. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Still happening to you? Are you getting errors anywhere else at the same time?

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

First I've heard of this. ;

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

Just happened again, only happens on my iPad. I'll close the 404 page, touch the same bookmark, and this time it works. happens whether I'm connected to my wireless or using the cellular data. I'm wondering if it's somehow noticing I'm on a mobile device and trying to go to a different version of the page and not getting there. When it happens again I'll grab a screenshot.

Erich

6. ELinder

ELinder Member

Here's what I see. I close this, click the bookmark again, and the normal page shows up.

Erich

Attached Files:

7. Tim

What is the url that you have bookmarked?

8. ELinder

ELinder Member

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

No problems for me on two different desktops or tablet hybrid, through Google Chrome or IE9 & 11. ; All favorites links (same as yours) work.

10. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

No heavy loads on the server and if its only happening on your Ipad i would assume your going to a broken link or a 404 page.

If you manually enter in the url and click on wherever you are trying to go to does it work that way?

11. ELinder

ELinder Member

No, I never to go to that page you see in the screenshot on purpose. My bookmark points directly to the full screen forum page but ends up there. A couple days ago I deleted the bookmark, manually went to the the forum page, and created a new bookmark in case the old bookmark was somehow corrupt. Same result.

Edit: here's the URL of where I get redirected to, that page in the screenshot.

http://www.themagicinpixels.com/forum/mobiquo/smartbanner/ads.php?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.themagicinpixels.com%2Fforum%2F&code=22d546ceb71360e8dca60d41a49cda21&board_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.themagicinpixels.com%2Fforum&lang=en-us

12. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

But what happens when you open up a browser and type in the domain name? Does it take you to the site or give you an 404 error?

13. ELinder

ELinder Member

Closed browser, cleared cache, cookies, history, open browser, type in www.themagicinpixels.com/forum/ and it goes to the 404 page in screenshot. Close that page, type in address again, and it correctly goes to the main forum page. First time always goes to the error page.

14. ELinder

ELinder Member

Further to that, any time I try to come here after the browser cache, cookies, and history have been cleared it goes to the 404 page the first time. Any subsequent time it directs correctly, even if I've closed and reopened the browser.

15. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

16. ELinder

ELinder Member

OK, that worked. Got the page same as screenshot, but instead of the 404 frame got "Latest Posts" list, even though they weren't actually the newest since some in the list were from 2013.

17. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Problem is on your end with the app your using or your ipad.

18. ELinder

ELinder Member

It's the built-in iOS7 Safari browser.

Nobody else uses an iPad to look at the forum? I can't be the only one. Oh well, don't waste any more time on it, it's not that big a problem. Thanks for the time you did spend.

Erich

19. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

The part of the url that says "smartbanner/ads.php" implies to me that it can't find one of the advertising banners that Tim puts at the top of the page. ; I wouldn't think that would kill the whole page, though.

20. Tim

those are the latest ARTICLES on the content part of the site, not the forum.