Automatic Gratuity Rumour

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Miss Megara, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

The following blurb has already been posted to Disney Dining Experience Card holders:

I'm in the middle of trying to find out if this is indeed correct. ; Supposedly the servers union tried to implement this when Disney took away the guaranteed tip on the Disney Dining Plan.

2. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

For small pay as you go parties if less than 8 it should be at the discretion of the guests.

Disney Dining Plan fee should comprise the gratuity. I wonder why they took it away?

On DCL they should ad the gratuity. Some folks don't leave any tips.

The CM's on the ship have a much lower base wage than their shoreside counter parts.

Please report back with your findings.

3. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Because - it's a fact - that Disney was losing money on it.

Do the math. ; Let's use a round number, say the dining plan costs you $38, part of that amount was to go towards your table service meal. ; So let's say $25 of the $38 went to your table service.

You server did not get 18% of your $25 ($4.50), but rather, they were getting 18% of your TOTAL bill. ;

So, say you have dinner reservations at Le Cellier Steakhouse in the Canadian Pavilion at Epcot. ; You had a Shrimp Cocktail with wasabi slaw and horseradish chili sauce ($ 9.99), Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb beurre blanc, topped with fried parsnips ($ 27.99), Strawberries and Balsamic Ice Cream ($ 6.99) ; and coffee ($2.00).

Total was $49.77 ($46.96 plus tax).

Disney paid your server $8.95. Considering the fact that the entire plan only cost $38 for the day, a whopping $9 for your server is quite a chunk!

IMHO, Disney should of simply raised the price of the DDP and continued to have the gratuity included. ;

I will be sure to post my findings on the sitch - but I hate to say it - so far it's looking like this will be in place for January.

4. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

5. highland3

highland3 Member

Can you name the restaurant and location?[/i]
    [​IMG][/url]
    [/quote]
    Wilderness Lodge???

6. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

As would I!

Yep, Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. ; "Please note that there are no characters to be found at this location". ; ;D

7. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Congrats we have 2 winners

[​IMG]

8. highland3

highland3 Member

Ohhhh... ;there are characters there... just not the Disney kind ;;)

9. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

10. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

LMBO!!!!! ;D

11. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

If this is true that's pretty low. The reason Disney gave for getting rid of the gratuity was that they wanted to give control of how much to give the servers back to the customers (I know the real reason was to save money). But now mandating how much to give? I hope this turns out not to be true. I usually give 20-25% but being forced to give an amount may make me think twice about giving more than the 18%.

12. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

I just heard back from my Disney sales rep. ; This new 'automatic gratuity' will be ONLY for Disney Dining Experience Card holders.

Her and I had a good chuckle at how badly the email was worded. ; She said that "I guess that they thought only Disney Dining Experience Card Holders would see this email". ; To which I replied "Then clearly the person who wrote this email doesn't know what the internet is." ;D

13. highland3

highland3 Member

Thanks for the clarification! ; ::)

14. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Is that what thye're calling the new dining plan?

[​IMG]

15. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

No, the Disney Dining Experience is a card that Florida Residents and Annual Passholders can purchase. ; It offers a 20% discount off of most restaurants on Disney property.