Back to Hockey

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

With all the traveling and holidays, I hadn't gotten out to do some ice hockey photography this season. ; Well, over the next few weeks, I will be alleviating that issue starting with covering a game last Friday night.

Using the Nikon D70 with the Nikon 70-200VR at f/2.8, ISO 1600 and EV +1.0 to 1.7, I can only get 1/200 to 1/250 shutter speeds in this rink. ; Noise Ninja is used to clean up the images before processing in Apple Aperture 2.

All I can say about the first one is I played goalie once and remember being able to so the splits. ; Today, it would put me in the hospital!

[​IMG]
    Sam Lane (15) of West Genesee slips the puck past Baldwinsville goalie Mark Miller (1) for the Wildcat's second goal during a CNY Division I ice hockey game on Friday, January 15, 2010. ; West Genesee went on to post a shutout, 4-0.

[​IMG]
    Baldwinsville Bee's goalie Mark Miller (1) and defenseman Jeff Abbott (29) stop West Genesee Wildcat Zach Lewis (33) scoring attempt.

[​IMG]
    Baldwinsville goaltender's Angry Bee mask, the Baldwinsville mascot.

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Nice shots... I used to take a ton of photos at the games I attended, but have started slacking off in the past year.

3. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Great shots!

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Nice...good to see hockey support! ; The forgotten sport as far as professional is concerned, but still the best to me. ; I have never in my life been able to do the split, nor will I ever unless something's broken. ; It hurts just looking at some goalies' moves.

Looks like you metered a little hot in the first two - all that white is tough on metering systems for sure! ; It doesn't help when the uniforms are white too. ; But you caught the action well.

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Most of the time it is not so much "Splits" as it is legs splayed out at the knees. ; But still more than I could do.

6. zackiedawg

Me too. ; Splaying of legs at any joint is a no-no for me. ; ;)

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Big hockey fan here. ; Played and have watched it locally and the NHL for years and years.

i meter at hot as I can with my camera. ; Those shots were a bit underexposed and it was the processing which brought out the white. ; Should have buried the blacks a little to compensate. ; Though when converted to B&W for the local newspaper, they come out pretty good. ; Tonight's game is in a better lighted rink and I'll be able to shoot at higher shutter speeds and get better exposures.

8. zackiedawg

That matters too actually - I didn't realize you needed to prep these for printing in a local paper. ; The processing makes sense - didn't mean to criticize, just pointing out what looked a bit overexposed on my monitor. ; Sometimes there's a good reason to over/underexpose!

Me too on hockey - got hooked watching Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Fuhr, and gang from Edmonton back in the 80s during their reign over the Stanley Cup, followed Gretz & Kurri to LA when I moved there myself, enjoying Robitaille, Hrudey, Huddy, Granato, McSorley, Sandstrom, Zhitnik, Sydor, and gang (I moved to LA in 1990 and stayed into 1994...good years to be in LA for hockey). ; By the time I moved back to Florida, I had a local team to root for in the Panthers, as well as my old favorites LA, Anaheim (which joined the NHL while I was living out there), Pittsburgh, and Washington.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Oh...sorry about 1993 there. ; :) ; Wish the Canadiens could get it's organization in sync like NJ, Detroit and others who are a contender every year. ; Thought they were until they blew up the team last spring. ; Now, I have to be patient and see if they come together this year or next. ; They looked terrible over the weekend against Ottawa and NY Rangers.

10. zackiedawg

I STILL have a little twitch in my left eye when I think about Montreal, because of 1993. ; Otherwise nothing against them, but that one still gets me. ; :)

11. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Great shots Scott! Did you shoot JPG or Raw? If JPG what was your white balance like?

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I shoot hockey in RAW but I didn't fool with WB in these. ; I do a custom WB on the ice before it gets cleaned after pre-game warm-ups.

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's some more from Wednesday night's game. It as even more challenging as the War Memorial didn't have all the lights on they use for the AHL Syracuse Crunch games and I had to shoot using Shutter priority at 1/250s. Made most of the photos taken through the glass a bit underexposed. ; In most rinks I do not have access to the entire rink so it was a treat to be able to wander all around the War Memorial.

Connor Bertrand (5) of Baldwinsville goes around a Liverpool player in 1st period play.
    [​IMG]

Baldwinsville Bees defenseman Griffen Noffey (21) shoots and scores during the second period against Liverpool.
    [​IMG]

Baldwinsville's John Waldon (16) sets up a screen in front of the Liverpool goalie.
    [​IMG]

Baldwinsville Bees Jeff Abbott (29) and goalie Mark Miller (1) defend against Liverpool. ; This didn't happen often as Baldwinsville went on to post a 10-0 win. Can you tell I shot this from above the glass? ; :)
    [​IMG]

14. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Great shots, Scott. ; Makes me want to take my camera to a game. ; I'll have to check the area high school schedules.

You can add me to the TMIP hockey fan pool. ; I still remember going to my first game when I was five. ; I am continually disappointed that Indianapolis no longer has a pro team. ; (Here's a bit of trivia for you: ; Both Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier turned pro with the WHA's Indianapolis Racers.) ; I also played a bit of rec hockey, but was a late bloomer; I started at age 41!

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Really, Dennis? ; Did the Racers move to Edmonton? ; Neat trivia to know.

Stop me when you've all had enough. ; These are from last night's (Jan. 22) game as B'ville hosted the Cicero-North Syracuse (CNS) Northstars. ; Back in the home rink with lovely lighting. ; Had to really push some of these.

Sam Lane (15) of Baldwinsville protects the puck as he goes around CNS defensemen Alex Zubrowski (10). ; Cicero-North Syracuse Northstars visited the Baldwinsville Bees in the Greater Baldwinsville Ice Arena on Friday, January 22, 2010. ; Baldwinsville won 5 to 2.
    [​IMG]

Got some goals...

Baldwinsville's Sam Lane's (not pictured) shot trickled past CNS goalie Zach Hall (1) in what proved to be the game winner in 2nd period action.
    [​IMG]

Cicero-North Syracuse Northstars forward Matt Kennedy (18) scores against Baldwinsville goalie Mark Miller (1) as Bees defensemen Brett Earle (28) looks on
    [​IMG]

Baldwidnsville's Brad Burlingame (17) one-times a shot to score a powerplay goal in the third period against the Cicero-North Syracuse Northstars
    [​IMG]

And a nice save...

Baldwinsville Bees goalie Mark Miller makes a save in the 3rd period against the Cicero-North Syracuse Northstars
    [​IMG]

16. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

No, Gretzky was sold to Edmonton in November, 1978 and the Racers folded a month later. ; He only played eight games in Indy. ; Several years ago I dined at Gretzky's restaurant in Toronto, and his Racers jersey was on display in a back room.

I did a little research to see if the book I had on the Racers was still available. ; It is, and I discovered that the author has also made a film called Gretzky, Indy and the W.H.A..

Keep posting the photos; they look great.

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

After having a game cancelled last week because of a winter storm, B'ville got back to it last night winning 4 to 1.

Baldwinsville goalie making one of his many saves. ; He was the first star of the game stopping 32 shots.
    [​IMG]

Crossing the blue line with head up. ; This is a rarity for this level of play as most have their head down. ;
    [​IMG]

The game winning goal!
    [​IMG]

I am borrowing my friend's Nikon D700 for the next game! High ISO performance and 7fps will be a joy to use.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  18. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Here are a couple of my favorites (with my old camera) from a St. Blues game.
    [​IMG]
    And the Game winner in the Shootout!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Oh, look at the wonderful NHL/TV lighting! ; Nice capture on the goal. ; The goalie was completely fooled. ; That deep knee bend shot was brought to the NHL by another St. Louis Blues' player, Brett Hull, when he came into the league back in the 80's.

20. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

The lighting was terrible overall. ; Luckily we were only about 10 rows off the ice. ; But both those shots were from 10 rows back, behind the protective netting, and across the entire ice. ; Good thing my old camera had terrific zoom...