Band Pic

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by haunteddoc, Sep 28, 2008.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Got this shot the other night of some of the guard girls from my sons Marching Band. The front two girs are sisters.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work! I took pics of my sister's marching band the last three years and the guard was always my favorite subject. They're so gracefull. Here's one of my favorites from last year:

[​IMG]

3. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Good shot.

I really enjoy taking pics of the band and the kids have gotten used to me being around taking candid pics. I also try and get the directors and staff in candid shots. Sure can be a challenge with the various lighting conditions from bright sun to outdoor high school stadium lighting. We also make buttons with the kids pictures on them and I have been taking those pics as well.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Man, I SO miss marching! I did it for 4 years, and I would go back to high school in a heart beat to do it all over again because of band.

Great shots guys! Post more, I love seeing these.

5. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

If you like band shots, visit my web site. I post all the pics I take. So good, so not so good. Most just have some minor Lightroom adjustments. http://haunteddoc.zenfolio.com

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Me too. What did you play?

Here's a link to my marching band galleries http://www.pbase.com/msummers/marching_band

7. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I played clarinet but when I played in marching band, the 60's, we didn't do anything but march to the middle of the field and play during half-time. My son plays snare drum and is really interested in playing in DCI and loves winter percussion. I can not believe the amount of work these kids put into the program.

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

I played alto sax and marched all 4 years in high school, 1997-2001. You're right about the time commitment. We rehearsed 14hrs in a typical week. On the weeks with a football game, add 5-6hrs to that. and on competition weeks (pretty much every week from mid September to mid November) add 8-12 hrs depending on where the competition(s) was/were. So worst case, we had 32hrs of practice/travel/performance in a week. And call me crazy, but I'd do it all again given the chance.

9. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Yep! That's about the same schedule my son has. With winter percussion, it is even more intense. But he loves it. I am really proud of him and the other band kids for all their work and commitment. All of them are certainly having a good time and he is developing close friendships with the other band kids but he is also learning that hard work pays off and learning responsibility as he takes on more leadership roles in the band. Something I see lacking in many or the kids. I am like you, I would do it again in an instance. Now some 40 years later, the freinds from high school I communicate with were those I had in band although we are spreadout all over the country.

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I played Sax, marched with the Baritone Sax 2 years, the Tenor for a year and switched my senior year to Baritone Horn. I LOVED it so much, I made Cadets of Bergen County, but couldn't swing the financial aspect for the summer. I now wish I bit the bullet and just did it, but oh well. I still go to see competitions when I can. There is the East finals in Allentown, PA every summer, so I can get my fill.

11. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

We are really lucky. My son loves Phantom Regiment and he went to their summer camp a couple of years ago. What an experience. We live just north of Indianapolis and now the DCI world headquarters are in Indy and the world championships will be in Indy at the new Lucas Dome starting this year so it will be very easy for us to go to world each year.

12. mPower

mPower Member

I thought the DCI champs were in Bloomington this year? Obviously, we're just north of Indy too :)

13. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Yep. They were in Bloomington this year. They were supposed to be the first event in the Lucas Dome but construction got behind and so it got moved to Bloomington. Now that the Lucas Dome is finished I think they are supposed to be there for the next several years.

14. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Just looked at your info and WOW your in Westfield. We are in Peru. Who could have thunk it.

15. Me too.

<<Proud alumni of Illinois State University's Big Red Marching Machine! I was never in a competition band in high shool and our band at ISU wasnt really big then or anything like that but we were proud of what we did and had a great time doing it!