Big, colorful, beautiful Iguana in the wild

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by zackiedawg, Oct 6, 2014.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I love iguanas - all lizards in fact, but since iguanas get so big, they're more fun to see in person. Florida has millions of green iguanas, that can get up to 5-6 feet long at full growth...once they get to that size, they get significant dewlaps under their chins, huge lines of spines down their backs, and can develop very cool stripes and patterns. Also, despite being called 'green iguanas', they can change their color with seasons, or mood - varying from white-ish green, vibrant kelly green, black, orange, or grey. Orange is thought to be one of their mating season colors, and one of the more stunning ones to see in nature.

This big old male iguana still had some of his green showing through, but was turning on a nice vibrant orange, while displaying some beautiful tiger-striping in black...he really stood out and should get a mate for his efforts!

Shot with the Tamron 150-600mm lens, at 600mm wide open at F6.3, and ISO1000 on a cloudy day:
    [​IMG]

2. Howie

Howie Member

nice and crisp. I think tamron will have a big seller on its hands except the canon version is having focusing problems

3. zackiedawg

I've heard that...hopefully they'll figure out the issue and put out a firmware fix. Nikon and Sony versions seem to have been problem free - and the Sony version might even be the sharpest of all, since they don't require the additional moving elements for the stabilization in the lens. I can say my copy is really amazingly sharp for a $1,000 zoom - I can compare it pretty favorably to my excellent 300mm F4, and far better than the Tamron 200-500mm that came before it...and that was a very good lens for me. This one bests it across the board.

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very cool Justin, love that he is just hangin in the tree!

5. zackiedawg

Thanks John. They'll do that on sunny days...you'll see them in the shade when it's really hot, then when the temps are in the 80s or 70s and the sun is out, you'll see them all start climbing trees, and then heading out on a nice limb that places them in the sun, where they can lounge and warm up. What's really funny is when you see these big 4-6 foot adults pick the wrong limb - they're climbing out farther and farther, then SNAP! Down they fall into the water below.