Big News! (at least for me)

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by dishippy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. dishippy

dishippy Member

So, this year has been good to me for sure. I’ve worked my mouse ears off at two jobs with an average of 60 hours a week for about 10 months now and it’s finally going to pay off. I found out that I am getting a pretty good tax return which means one thing. I finally get to get my very first SLR! WOO HOO! I have been waiting to have the money for this for many years and it’s finally here. So, I wanted to get everyones opinion on the setup I’ve decided to go with:
    Nikon D90 camera body
    Standard - AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D
    Zoom - AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
    Wide Angle - AF NIKKOR 24mm f/2.8D

Future lens plans:
    Macro - AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
    Wide Angle Zoom - Tokina 11mm-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX Ultra Wide Angle Zoom

So what do you think? Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm still on a bit of a budget so that why I decided on the D90. It seems like a good all around SLR that can be very versatile. So let me know. Thanks!

2. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Hi dishippy. :) ; Welcome to TMIP. ; This is a really wonderful place and you'll find lots of great advice and a good dose of fun and playing most days too. :D

I think you are on the right track here. ; It's so exciting getting that first camera and I'm glad you are spending time carefully deciding on lenses. ; I didn't realize the importance of that in the beginning and wasted money on some less than stellar glass.

You might want to take a look at the 18-200 VR lens. ; It's a great walkabout lens that covers a wider range than the 55-200. ; Just my .02. ; I like that lens alot.

Edited to add...it is expensive, but you can pick it up used for less. ; Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000BY52NU/ref=sr_1_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1267627583&sr=8-2&condition=used

I use Canon lenses and have the 55-250 and found it frustrating to have to switch lenses all the time. ; Now that I own the 18-200, I just put that one on and off I go.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I would slow down on the 24/2.8D. ; It won't be that wide on the D90 (36mm). ; I'd save up for the Tokina.

And don't forget that the 50/1.8 is going to be more like a portrait telephoto on the D90 as well. (75mm)

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Great, another D90 user! I think you're going to love it.

Interesting lens choices, going for the older ones. Unfortunately, i don't know anything about those primes, but as Roger said, I'd be a bit concerned about the wider end of your choices. It sort of depends on how soon you think you'll be able to get the Tokina 11-16mm. If it will be fairly soon, OK, but if t will be a while, I might suggest the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX instead of the 50mm, then put the money from the 24mm toward getting the Tokina sooner.

Erich

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I'd follow the first three sentences of this advice, for sure.

6. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I'll chime in on the 24 also- not too wide on DX

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Welcome to the boards dishippy!

I would also recommend skipping the 24 and saving up for the Tokina. ; 24mm is just not that wide, and you'll be over halfway to having enough money to get the Tokina.

8. dishippy

dishippy Member

Thanks guys and gals for all the advice. Now, would there be a certain tripod that is nice and lightweight that is good for taking into the parks?

9. Roger

Tripod: ; The Velbon Ultra series is popular here; I'm just one of the "maybe you should get one you'll grow into to start with" crowd....I've been through too many tripods!!!

The first question you have to ask is how high do you want your tripod to go? ; That will determine what model you'll want. ; Next is what your future lens plans are. ; At your current list it's nothing major (body plus lens weight), but if you plan on a heavier lens then your tripod needs will be more.

10. gary

gary Member

i'm going to throw my own opinion right out here, right now, you will need a ballhead for whatever you get, or however many tripods you end up with. i say save up those dollars and go right to the acratech line, esp the one with the built in level and base degrees for pano work. this company made their name in design and manufacture of speed parts for top fuel and funny car, and those place high stresses on parts. i cannot see any company finding a way to out engineer these folks, particularly in the weight to strength area, it's my everyday all the time ballhead no matter what tripod i take out in the field.
    oh actually i'm not quite correct, yes there could be more weight reduction, but then not many can afford a titanium ballhead

11. Roger

Can I get an Amen! ; I second that....wish I had gotten the Acratech earlier. ; It's not that heavy really though.

12. dishippy

dishippy Member

Ok, so new update on the SLR front. I've had a bit of a rough patch recently in that my primary job has fell victim to the slow economy. I haven't worked there in about two months, just started back last week, so money has been tight to say the least. So I had all of the money saved for my SLR, and I had to spend it all on bills to get by. One word for this situation, LAME! ; :'(

So my plans have shifted a bit. I'm thinking now that I'm going to get the D90 with the kit lens (for now) and the 50mm standard lens. One reason being is that I can order it through Sears (my second job) and get my employee discount. Then I can save up for better lenses. Tripod wise, I am going to be looking into a good tripod, but was also thinking of getting Gorrilapod. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again for everyone's advice. I really appreciate it. ; :)

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

What's the kit lens for the D90? ; If it's the 24-120VR, I'd just get the body and the 50mm and save your money for something better like the 18-200VR or 16-85VR. The 24-120VR has been generally panned as not being very good.

14. Roger

I think the kit lens is the 18-105 DX VR

15. dishippy

dishippy Member

You are correct. The only review that I've read that has a negative note is that it has (in some instances) a bit of blurry corner problem when it's out at 18mm. The main reason I'm leaning this way is that I can't get the body only through Sears, only the body w/ kit lens. And as money is tight right now, I find that I'm going to be relying on my discount quite a lot. Between the camera, 50mm, and a SD Extreme 3 I can save over three hundred dollars. I can also get 18 months no interest if I put it onto my sears card.

16. dishippy

dishippy Member

So I just got home from work. I ordered the Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens. To go along with it, an 8GB SD Extreme card and a Tamrac Aero 70 backpack. It should be here within a week! I'm so excited I don't know if I can wait. Also, yesterday I went to a local camera shop and bought the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens. I'm so ready to get out and shoot. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Roger

Congrats!

18. ELinder

ELinder Member

Great! I think you'll love it.

Erich

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

Awesome!

20. dishippy

dishippy Member

Now it's just a waiting game until it gets here and then some serious shooting begins. I've been making a mental list leading up to my purchasing this camera of places around the St. Louis area that I have to visit to shoot. It's going to be a fun summer.