"Bigma" Mark 2 now in stock

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Sigma has released the Sigma 50-500 (aka "BIGma"), mark 2, which now features new optics and Optical Stabilization.
    Check it out... ; for Nikon and Canon only at this time.

I WANT ONE!!!!

Click here

[box title=Features]
    This Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Lens is for digital SLR cameras with a Canon lens mount. The lens has a standard to ultra telephoto zoom range that is ideal for nature, wildlife, or sports photography. The range translates into an equivalent 75-750mm when used with digital SLR cameras with an APS size chip. The lens is also compatible with full frame cameras. You can even increase your telephoto range by using the Sigma APO teleconverters.

The OS (Optical Stabilizer) system minimizes image blur caused by camera shake, and offers the equivalent of shooting at a shutter speed 3-4 stops faster. This allows handheld telephoto zoom shooting even in poorly lit conditions.

The use of the OS (Optical Stabilizer) system, HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), APO apochromatic design, four elements of SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass, and multicoated optics all enable this lens to provide a high level of performance throughout its entire zoom range. A rear focus system insures quick, convenient manual focus and a non-rotating front barrel.

The improved DG lens design corrects for various aberrations. This lens is specially coated to get the best color balance, while cutting down on ghosting caused by reflections from the digital image sensor. The lens provides the utmost correction against lateral chromatic aberration, which is a serious problem for digital SLR cameras.

Note! If the camera body does not support the HSM motor, auto focus will not work.

; ; • Designed for use with full frame digital SLR cameras. May also be used with smaller APS-C size sensors with a corresponding effective increase in focal length to about 75 to 750mm with most cameras

; ; • Standard to ultra telephoto zoom range makes this the perfect to carry when you only have room for one lens.

; ; • The OS system uses two sensors inside the lens to detect vertical and horizontal movement of the camera. It works by moving an optical image stabilizing lens group, to effectively compensate for camera shake. It automatically detects movement of the camera and compensates for camera shake when shooting a moving subject such as motor sports.

; ; • The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system ensures quiet and high-speed auto focusing with full time manual focus override.

; ; • Four Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements provide excellent correction for chromatic aberration.

; ; • The improved DG lens design corrects for various aberrations.

; ; • Super Multi Layer (SML) coating reduces ghost and flare. [/box]

2. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Holy cow, Tim. ; I'd have to have the assistant who is going to organize my online life for me, hold that lens up for me as well. ; :D ; Okay, there is no assistant (darn), so maybe I'll wait on the lens.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

That is Big, alright. ; I am sure that would get old carrying around all day in the parks. ;)

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

I talked with a D300 shooter at an airshow who had one of these (old version I assume). He said that as long as there was plenty of light, it was a great lens. Actually, it was a lot smaller than I expected given its reach. Note I said smaller, not small, but it looked very hand holdable. Actually, it doesn't get huge until zoomed out all the way. There's a video from Lensrentals that shows a bunch of supertelephoto lenses for size comparison that has the Bigma in it.

Erich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_euUMN-V1s&feature=player_embedded#!

5. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

That was interesting, Erich. ; Thanks for posting it. ; It's actually not as huge as I pictured it in my mind either. ; hmmm...

6. Paul

Paul Member

but heavy, nearly 4.5 pounds

7. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Never did like the results from the old Bigma lens. Contrast and colors always seemed off. However, I will have to rent the new one to see if it is a dramatic improvement. ; My Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 is still my favorite zoom lens for the reach :)

8. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I agree on the old Bigma...when I was shopping for a big zoom, I ended up liking the Tamron 200-500 better - color was richer, I found it to be a little more detailed at full tele, and it's both shorter and lighter to boot. ; I've been shooting the Tamron 200-500 for years now, and love it. ; Good to see they're improving the Bigma for those looking for one, but I'm very happy with my Tammy! ; And of course, mine's already stabilized too. ; :)

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

10. Dan

Dan Member

Hmm.. interesting.. ; The Bigma used to be the interesting option when compared to the Canon 100-400. ; It offered a remarkably wider range, significantly lower price, but some image quality compromises (although the 100-400 is known to have varying image quality between copies, so it was hardly a safe bet either).

Now they're stepping the price up to the level of the 100-400, so presumably they're asking for it to be directly compared to it. ; But if they can keep the optical quality consistent between copies it does become a compelling option.

I don't know if I could give up my 400mm F5.6, though. ; That user report mentions some sharpness falloff towards the edges, stressing that it won't be mistaken for a prime. ; Well I've gotten used to using a prime. ; At its best it shows an awful lot of sharpness even at the extreme edges when wide open.

'Course, with wildlife photography I'd accept the argument that edge sharpness is a lot less important, typically that's just out of focus background anyway.

11. Tim

i am torn between whether or not to save up for the bigma mark 2 or the 120-400 that i seem to have misplaced. ; the 120-400 was a SHARP lens and weighs in at about $700 less. ; both are stabilized.

compare:
    BIGMA MARK 2
    SIGMA 120-400

12. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

My vote is still for the Canon... lol ; ;D

about 30% crop
    [​IMG]

no crop
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  13. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

There's still something to be said for the extra reach from 400-500mm...like when you want to get as close as possible, but you DON'T want to get CLOSE!:

[expando]http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/122793701/original.jpg[/expando]

[expando]http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/122926872/original.jpg[/expando]

The ol' Tamron 200-500 is pretty trusty at the same reach as the Bigma...but a little lighter, a little smaller, and I personally like the sharpness and color a touch more. ; And stabilization isn't a factor for me!

14. Tim

i never considered the tamron 200-500. ; i would love to see a direct comparison of the following...

bigma 50-500
    canon 100-400
    tamron 200-500
    sigma 120-400

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Let's not forget the Nikon 80-400VR in there. ; Though it's AF is not AF-S but is manageable. ; Also, Nikon just released a new 200-400VR but very pricey.

16. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I wish Canon had a 200-400 f/4 lens. It is the only lens that Nikon makes that I want Canon to make too.

17. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I am starting to think I do too. ;

I was thinking about getting one of the new TC-20E III's for my 70-200vr for the type of casual birding/wildlife I do. ; But I have not had the best luck with TC's in the past- I wonder how the IQ and vr/os would compare shooting each setup at 400mm. ; Of course this lens goes to 500mm which would be nice.

18. Tim

50 on the wide end is appealing as well, since you can pretty much put it on and carry it until your arms collapse. ; mega-range.
    i do need to do some research into IQ though.

19. Tim

i forgot it since i shoot canon ; ;)

20. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think you'll like the new 70 with the new TC 2x.

Assuming that I'm still going to DL (I probably have to go sooner now, which also means....no World of Color for me) I'll be using that combo. ; Right now I have a set reserved.