Breaking News - Disney Changing 'Mission: Space' Ride

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Sean&Karen, May 3, 2006.

1. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/wkmg/20060502/lo_wkmg/3440102

Beginning this summer, Epcot guests will have two options when it comes to the ride; they can either go on the current attraction or a new version which provides a milder experience, according to the report.

In the new version, the spinning centrifuge will be turned off for guests who are prone to motion sickness or have other conditions.

"By offering a second adventure, we hope to broaden the appeal of "Mission: Space" and enable even more guests to experience the attraction," said Al Weiss, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

Signs posted in the queue area of "Mission: Space" will outline the difference between the two adventures and provide health advisories appropriate for each experience.

"Providing a choice between two ride options will help to further encourage all Guests to carefully consider posted health advisories when making their decision," Weiss said.

Last month, Hiltrud Bleumel died after she got sick on the ride.

Also, last year, a 4-year-old boy died after riding "Mission: Space."

An autopsy determined Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Pa., died of an irregular heartbeat linked to a natural causes. The boy had an abnormal thickening of the heart muscle that can throw heart contractions out of coordination.

People with the condition are at risk for sudden death throughout their lives, especially in physically or emotionally stressful situations, a medical examiner said.

"Mission: Space" opened in August 2003. Since that time, 11.8 million rides have been given on the attraction, which simulates the launch, approach and landing of a futuristic spacecraft on Mars.

The attraction is made up of four separate ride systems, each with its own centrifuge and programmable simulators.

2. Treelo

Treelo Member

Sweet! ; Now maybe next time we go I can actually go on the ride and be able to breathe :) ; (we rode on our honeymoon, but the centrifuge agravated my asthma... this time we didn't go anywhere near it, but I'm pretty sure my hubby was disappointed not to go)

3. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Minnie wants me to go on it, and the tower of terror... but I am a wimp so I am not sure if I am going to! However the Rockin' Roller Coaster was a good ride!

4. Treelo

Treelo Member

Heh... I'm absolutely terrified of heights... can't ride those 'free-fall' rides if you paid me... but I managed Tower of Terror without TOO much agony ;) ; And my only issues with Mission Space were tied to my asthma and the pressure due to the centrifuge.

You'll be fine... humour your wife ;)

5. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

I am not much of a ride person.....neither is hubby for that matter! We stayed away from most of the big rides......As much as I think it would be interesting to experience, I think I will wait for this new option.....

6. disneyfreak

disneyfreak Member

That's a great idea. ; Both my hubby and i didn't feel to well after that ride. ; Apparently it was worse before and had to be toned down because the "testers" were getting sick.