Build your own Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by CameraGirl, Dec 8, 2006.

1. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Build Your Own Lightsaber at Walt Disney World
    Dec 8, 2006

StarWars.com - Starting Friday, visitors to Walt Disney World in Florida will find an all-new Star Wars themed attraction waiting for them in the park's Once Upon A Toy Store -- the Build Your Own Lightsaber experience. Both Jedi and Sith alike are invited to "choose their destiny" and construct their saber of choice from a dazzling display offering scores of different design possibilities, including an exclusive purple-colored filter for fans of the signature Windu-hued blade.

The new attraction, which utilizes parts from Hasbro's customizable lightsaber toys, follows two other Hasbro-sponsored attractions recently installed in the park, the Build Your Own Potato Head and Create Your Own My Little Pony Playset. "The guests love it because it gives them the opportunity to create a completely customized toy," says Disney Theme Park Toy Developer Brad Schoeneberg. "The opportunity to Build Your Own Lightsaber and complete your training as a 'Jedi' or 'Sith' is definitely a dream come true for children of all ages." Making dreams come true is the order of business for Disney's "Year of a Million Dreams" campaign currently underway at Disney Theme Parks.

With Walt Disney World's Star Tours attraction, Star Wars Weekends, and recently-installed Jedi Training Academy, the park is truly becoming a Star Wars destination for fans of all ages. The Build Your Own Lightsaber attraction adds an interactive component to the Star Wars park experience, which will cost $19.95 from beginning to end, no matter how elaborate the saber design (including double-bladed customs). Batteries are also included.

Schoeneberg describes the experience:

"Guests can 'Choose Their Own Destiny' by deciding to build a custom lightsaber for the Jedi or the Sith. They will choose from a variety of parts to create their own custom saber or they can create one that is similar to the saber of one of their favorite Star Wars characters. The saber is electronic, with authentic saber light, sounds and vibrations. Upon completion of the saber the guest will tell the Disney Cast Member at the register whether they created a 'good' or 'bad' saber. Based on this distinction, the Disney cast member will give them the Jedi or Sith pin."

Collectors should note that the Jedi and Sith pins are exclusive to this park and attraction -- they will only be available to those who complete the BYOL experience. In addition, the park plans to refresh the attraction every year with a new custom saber exclusive component or keepsake.

While the attraction is currently exclusive to Florida's Once Upon a Toy Store at Downtown Disney, Schoeneberg says that there is always potential to expand the experience to other Disney Theme Parks around the world. Until then, fans should definitely put Walt Disney World on their list of holiday or summer destinations.

2. Treelo

Treelo Member

Sweet! ; Double Sweet, 'cuz they throw in the batteries ;)

Of course, the feasibility of buying into this would depend on luggage size far more that the build-your-own Potato-head... but I'm going to have to tell my BIL about this one... 'cuz I can see him wanting to build one... or two... or twelve ;) ; (maybe I can talk him into giving us the pins..... hmmmm.... *plot* *plot*)

3. highland3

highland3 Member

Too cool!!!!

4. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

You can build double blade ones! That's cool I could knock (um.. I mean my son could knock) over a few lamps with that.

5. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

LOL!!!! ;D

6. Treelo

Treelo Member

Furhter proof that little boys never grow up ;) ; I told my hubby about this and his first reaction was "Oh COOL!!!!!!"... followed by "too bad we can't take them home"... followed by "but maybe it'd be worth seeing how big they are and how expensive...." *laugh* ; Looks like we'll at least be checking them out in Feb ;)