Camera Gear/Bag Storage Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by NitroStitch, Feb 5, 2013.

1. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

I've finally had to accept that there's no one camera bag that works for every use. ; ;D

Now that I've found a number of really good camera bags for a number of different uses, I'm having trouble organizing the bags and tripod and other gear so I can get to things and find them when I need them (while not tripping over them the rest of the time).

How do you organize your bags and other gear?

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

When not in a bag? I have a pull out tray in a cabinet. I have a humidity monitor and desiccants, as well as a traditional bulb light to help warm te cabinet if necessary.

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

For home storage, I have a 2-door cabinet in my library above my desk where I store all my camera gear and lenses - it's well desiccanted also.

For travelling with my gear, I use a big Kata backpack that handles quite a bit of gear, but weighs a ton. ; I can squeeze up to 2 bodies and 10 lenses in there, including the big lenses, or up to 14 lenses if I leave out the birding primes. ; When going to Disney, I'll throw the 2nd camera (mirrorless) and 7-8 lenses in my Tenba shoulder bag so the Kata can handle all the DSLR lenses - since I don't have to worry about getting it all on a plane.

Once at Disney (or on a cruise, or traveling anywhere), I typically keep the backpack at the hotel/room/villa/cabin, and use it as a home-base - I bring along 3 extra camera bags of varying size that I can use each day, depending on what I think I need. ; These are all softer bags - they can fit one-inside-the-other Russian-doll style, so they take up less room. ; The Tenba shoulder bag is large enough for up to 2 camera bodies and anywhere from 4-6 lenses. ; The Think Tank holster bag is designed for two longer lenses, or one longer lens plus two smaller ones or a second camera body plus a lens. ; And finally, my tiny Tamrac bag can fit my DSLR with one mounted lens and one small prime, or my mirrorless with mounted lens and two extra lenses. ; It's the one I use for traveling light in the parks - such as using my 18-250mm lens and bringing the Sigma 30mm F1.4 for dark ride use. ; If it rains, I can just squeeze the DSLR in there with both lenses and wedge the zipper closed. ; And if I really want to go light, I don't bring the bags - I just carry my camera with one mounted lens. ; I use the neckstraps, carry it in hand, or use a belt holster to clip the camera onto my belt, depending on which works best for the occasion!

4. I use the Amazon Basics backpack when going to the parks. ; It's inexpensive and able to cary several lenses along with the other non-camera knick knacks. ; I haven't tried it with a tripod though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

My current backpack is a Nat Geo medium size camera pack. ; It holds my nex-7, 3 lenses and thensome in the camera compartment. ; Then enough pockets for spare batteries, charger, memory cards, filters, etc. ; it also has a rain jacket available and extra clip points for caribiners. ; I am in the process of getting a custom foam insert for my current setup to make the camera compartment a little more manageable. ; But it is definitely better than my previous standard school backpack.

Sent from my iPhone...

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

My stuff never comes out of the bag. ; No dedicated storage for me. ;

7. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

I've been wrestling with the idea of bringing more than one bag on a trip, especially since it would be nice to have organized stuff overall but travel lighter depending on the day. Carrying multiple bags usually ends up being its own problem. ; LOL ;

For those of you with multiple backpacks and photo bags, how do you keep those organized at home? I currently have them blobbed here and there in parts of three closets, and can't find anything. ; This year, I'm trying to make a difference in the mess, so I'm selling any bags and carriers I don't use, and I'm trying to organize the rest.

8. zackiedawg

For me, I try to keep all my bags on one shelving unit in my closet...most are empty as I keep all my camera gear out in my library/office. ; The exception is the Kata backpack, which often has several lenses sitting in it and works as a sort-of ministorage unit of its own, on a chair behind my desk. ; When guests are coming and I need to 'clean up' the library/office, I'll move the backpack into my closet shelf with the other bags. ; Technically that means my gear and bags are stored in two locations - but the library is the gear spot, and the closet is just where I keep the bags that are not in use.

9. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

I may sort of end up doing a modified version of your method. ; If I can get the closet organizer or some similar inserts (we rent, so no permanent modifications). ; Thanks!

10. zackiedawg

Mine's not very 'official' - I have an old 6-foot tall bookshelf (the cheap pressboard type you screw together yourself) which I stuck in the back of my closet. ; My bedroom closet is a walkin - not real big, but enough to keep clothes along one side, and shelves along the other - so I stuck the old bookshelf in there and keep various things there along with the camera bags. ; I also have an upper shelf above the clothes racks, and I keep all my camera gear and lens boxes up there...I've always been a stickler for holding onto original boxes for my camera gear, so when I sell or trade it, it's with the original box, manuals, etc.

11. gary

gary Member

i still think one of the best storage units for camera gear is an old gun cabinet, take out the supports for the long guns and put in shelving, the top is for bags and they usually have 1-2 drawers for accessories, i picked mine up at a yardsale many years ago for less than $50

of course that being florida and all, you may be hard pressed these days finding a gun cabinet not being used for the original purpose

12. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

A gun cabinet sounds like a good idea, Gary. ; You're probably right about there being a shortage of them that people want to try to sell right now though. ; ;)

13. zackiedawg

The gun cabinet idea could cause some problems. ; You have some folks over to your house, you start chatting about stuff, you decide it might be nice to take their photo of them for the occasion, so you say 'I want to shoot you' and head to the gun cabinet, they see the gun cabinet, are alarmed by what you just said, and jump out of the window...

14. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

Sorry gun cabinet occupied with firearms- more guns than cameras here......dont have the gear ya'll have- ; :-\yet-
    The guns do come in handy when there are feral hog, coyotes, rattlesnake and cotton mouths- DH shoots them- then I shoot them...Did i tell ya I live in a rural area.....oh back to the question-
    Cameras are stored on book case beside my recliner in den.( Easy to grab for unexpected county living photo op) Bags are stored in closet- tripod in corner of studio. No extra lens...

Just call me Annie.....Oakley ; :)

15. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

;D Oh, the mental pictures... That would be rather awwwwwkward.

16. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

Yikes! I'd be afraid to visit your house - because of all the snakes. ; Not the guns. ;

When you hang out here, you end up with more gear somehow. ; I've found out about all sorts of stuff I never knew I needed, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

17. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Snakes? There is nothing like mowing the yard and having this jot out in front of you.

Attached Files:

18. zackiedawg

Red meets black, OK jack...red meets yellow, dangerous fellow!

Yep - lots of those down here in Florida - all Florida kids grow up learning that little ditty.

19. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

You really ought to warn people who are phobic about snakes that you're going to show a photo of one of them. ; :eek:

I nearly stepped on one of the bad ones when I was moving years ago. Good thing they aren't aggressive. ;

20. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

No worries here- we keep the acreage closest to the house manicured( they like a certain environment and if you dont provide that- better chance they will move on- its something we are aware of- there are certain times of the year they crawl- and your awareness is heightened when you see them dead on the road. When you live in the country- you take the good with the bad- we have wood scorpions too...but no firearms needed for those- a nice heavy shoe will suffice. ; I wont post any pictures without warnings....now that I know someone has a real fear of them..... 8)

Yes I can see this site would make you more aware of whats out there to own and what kind of incredible things can be done with it.. ; :-[