Canon raises the white flag. RIP Powershot

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

News is coming in from various sources that Canon has signaled the end of the "inexpensive" P&S market and will no longer produce models that are competing against cell phone cameras.

I expect other manufacturers to do the same this year as well, kind of surprised Canon was the first.

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I don't think they are first actually - I seem to recall similar announcements last year from both Fuji and Olympus - no more cheap P&S, only higher-end models.

And though Sony never announced such a thing, their HX line of superzooms and their RX line of high-end models seem to have been the dominant if not only releases in their Cybershot lines lately.

3. Paul

Paul Member

Interesting changes taking place in the market, I am really excited by the mirrorlesss cameras and have begun looking at my options. With many here taking the plunge with the Sony cameras it is hard to ignore. I am really tired of lugging sound a bunch of DSLR camera equipment, especially at the parks.

I recently sold ALL of my Canon DSLR equipment and have started to look at my options. I really like the cameras Olympus has been coming out with and I'm leaning in that direction, but am in no hurry whatsoever.

I still have access to a D800 if I need it, so that made unloading the Canon gear a lot easier.

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think you're right, its just that they didn't really announce it. ; Sony has been quietly prepping the cellphone market and recently did so - their new Xperia Android has a 20mp sensor and will also shoot 4K video.

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I think there will always be a budget line of cameras (sub $100) but it does seem the middle range P&S is losing team compared to the mirrorless and entry-level d/slrs.