Canon SL1 going back questions on Panasonic Lumix GF6

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by lightslicer, Jan 1, 2014.

1. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

Any info? thoughts? ; Not pleased with the SL1 at all- to soft- Any thoughts on the Lumix series?

Thanks so much,
    Peg

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

Can you describe what you mean? From everything I've read the SL1 is a good camera. Maybe you just need some more experience with it.

Erich

3. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

Just not crisp. I shot with both my CanonSX40 Hs and the SL1 both on auto Christmas morning- and the SX40 out performed the SL1 for out of the camera auto focus. ; I am seriously considering the Sony NEX6 with just the kit lens for basically the same $ I have in the two lens and body of the SL1. ;

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

A word of caution...there is a little learning curve coming from a P&S to a large sensor interchangeable lens camera. ; In general, the large sensor camera is better in every regard - it should focus faster, and give better images. ; However, remember that a P&S camera with its very tiny sensor has a massive depth of field - things both close and far are all much more in focus, which means the focus system doesn't have to work nearly as hard to 'get it right' for casual snapshots. ; Take a photo of a statue 15 feet away, with the trees 30 feet behind it, and everything will be in focus on the P&S camera - so even if the focus system missed the statue and landed on the trees behind, the statue is still in focus. ; With a large sensor camera, the depth of field narrows considerably - this is generally considered desirable since you get great subject isolation and those lovely, creamy out-of-focus backgrounds...but now the focus is much more crucial - if the camera focuses on the trees behind the statue, the statue can be badly out of focus...that 30 feet difference from the background is outside of the large sensor's much narrower depth of field.

Another thing to consider: ; P&S cameras are essentially programmed to give punchy, sharpened photos that look snappy right out of the camera. ; Many DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are programmed to not 'process' the results as much, and often this means they don't seem as sharp, as saturated, and as colorful as some P&S shots at first. ; This is because they are leaving some leeway to be altered in post processing, where many like to apply their sharpening and saturation after the fact. ; But this can be addressed in camera as well - go into the camera's picture settings, and you should have some various factory presets with names like 'vivid, landscape, portrait' etc. ; And within EACH of these settings, you can manually make adjustments to sharpness, color, contrast, and sharpening. ; So you can essentially fine-tune the camera to deliver punchier, sharper photos out of camera.

I honestly don't think a new Panasonic M43 or NEX will solve your problem...I think it's mainly going to be an adjustment on your part to get used to larger sensor cameras, tuning your camera's settings to come out the way you like, and learning to get off the 'auto' mode and start taking some control over the focus mode, metering mode, and exposure. ; Even a simple change from full Auto to 'P' or program Auto, should give you a little more control while still leaving things as automated as you feel comfortable with...at least in P mode you can change the focus mode and metering mode, which should help get better focus results. ; First thing I'd recommend is getting into your picture settings and playing around with sharpness, contrast, and saturation settings to tune those JPGs to come out of the camera more to your liking.

5. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

Justin- thanks so much for your feed back- I have been shooting on manual on the SX40 for over a year- so have understand the DOF issue. Even when the focus was on a subject- it was too soft. I do process outside the camera- and have used elements for several years now-I push elements in the artsy stuff I do with my photos- but getting light room- to do more with the things I want to process for printing. ; I will print what you wrote- to digest it more. I know I have ALOT to learn- and am dedicated to doing just that ; :) thank you again- for responding. I am ordering a book about the camera- also have about 15 other books on digital photography so NOW will have the camera that I can learn with----hopefully the curve wont be that steep-- I will climb slowly--and ask for guidance along the way! ; ;) ; ; To infinity and beyond- or at least to "program" mode... ;D