Character Dining

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by CameraGirl, May 5, 2006.

1. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

We haven't experience character dining yet. ; We almost did on our first trip but we decided not too. ; I think it would be cool to be served by the characters since I do get quite a kick and quite emotional when I do see my favoirtes. ; But I was wondering if anyone could recommend their favorite place, which was the most fun or give any advice on if it is a good idea or a waste of money.

2. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

We ate at Crystal Palace in MK...we did the breakfast buffet. $20.00 USD each, so it was pricey. But, in my oppinion, definitly worth it. ; Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger wandered from table to table, and they even have a little song that they all dance to.
    I don't know if I would go back to it without kids, but I would say it was worth it.

We even got a certificate since it was our honeymoon, with all 4 autographs, and a free cupcake!

3. Golfdaddy

Golfdaddy Member

Highly recommend Chef Mickey's. The food is great and Mickey, Goofy, Minnie and Pluto are almost always there.

4. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Our favorite was Goofy’s Liberate Your appetite at the Liberty Tree Tavern. They had Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale when we were there and the food was great. They served roasted turkey breast, carved beef, and smoked pork loin, with mashed potatoes, vegetables, stuffing, and Macaroni and Cheese all family style. We liked that the character were dressed in period costumes, which you don’t see in the parks. My son likes the Crystal Palace since Winnie the Pooh is his favorite character and there is wide variety of food so everyone gets what they like.

5. highland3

highland3 Member

Another vote for Chef Mickeys! ; We did the breakfast buffet and got to spend time with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale, and a few others.

Good fun and the food was great too. ; Gotta love those Mickey waffles!!!

6. MJGirl

MJGirl Member

We went to 1900 Park Avenue this summer and really enjoyed it ... It was nice to see the Grand Floridian and Alice and the ; Mad Hatter were quite fun to watch. ; We also went to the Polynesian ; for their Character Breakfast ... The food was good. ; It was a change not to have a buffet, but a country style sitdown. ; Mickey and Goofy were there as well as Lilo and Stitch! ; I recommend both!

7. WDW Donna

WDW Donna Member

Chef Mickey's is a favourite. If you want a quieter dinner try Cape May Cafe over at the Yacht and Beach Club. Goofy, Chip and Dale, and I believe Donald show up over there.

8. declansdad

declansdad Member

We have done both lunch and dinner at Crystal Palace and breakfast at Chef Mickeys. ; Both we're great and we're planning even more for our next trip in August.

Just to let you know, the characters do not serve you.

9. Ohmigod, Minnie - if you haven't already booked your dining for your Mousefest trip - do so now! (Or get your Disney TA to do it - I do that for all my clients, and build them a spreadsheet that plunks in dining res and numbers, with hours each park is open, extra magic hours, parades, fireworks, etc.)

You're not at Disney if you don't do at least one character meal! ; Where else can adults fawn all over the characters and have your mug shot taken with them (unless you want to wait in line for an hour). ; There are other cool spots to eat too that you should make ADRs for.

The best spots for character meals to my mind:

1. Chef Mickey's - the best
    2. Cinderella's Castle (hardest to get res for)
    3. Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh et al
    4. Restaurant Akershus in Norway with Storybook Princess
    5. Liberty Tree Tavern with Minnie Mouse etc.
    6. Ohana breakfast with Lilo and Stitch
    7. 1900 Park Fare - different characters at breakfast (Mary Poppins theme) vs. supper (Cinderella theme)
    8. Garden Grill - Chip and Dale

Other spots you really should consider with your ADRs:
    9. Hoop Dee Doo - it's fantastic
    10. a Fantasmic! dinner package
    11. Coral Reef
    12. 50s Prime Time Cafe
    13. Sci Fi Dine In
    14. Rainforest Cafe
    15. le Cellier

Do it. ; Do it now! :)

10. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Planning the meals is Sean's doing. ; But we are definitely trying to get our ideas together to do at least one character dining for sure. ; The fantasmic dinner package I bet would be absolutely amazing. ; But I know Sean is planning on definitely stopping at the 50s Prime Time Cafe. ; He has wanted to do that forever.

11. tinkerbell

tinkerbell Member

We haven't experience character dining yet. ; We almost did on our first trip but we decided not too. ; I think it would be cool to be served by the characters since I do get quite a kick and quite emotional when I do see my favoirtes. ; But I was wondering if anyone could recommend their favorite place, which was the most fun or give any advice on if it is a good idea or a waste of money.
    [/quote]
    You don't get served by the characters-they come to visit your table. It's best (IMO) that you go when children are young-he characters seem to spend more time at your table with young children and babies. Our DH nearly lost his finger in a hotel room door and was all bandaged up when we went to our breaky at Ohana (my fave) and the characters were all over him during the breakfast. We love breakfast the best too-then head to a park.