Comparing on Site Vactions:Walt Disney World to Universal Orlando

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Ham Ham, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

A writers opinion on staying on site.

Click on headline for full article at examiner.com

Universal wins the on-site hotel stakes, but Disney is a close runner up

February 19, 9:27 PM
    by Barbara Nefer, Orlando Getaways Examiner

Both Disney and Universal offer major perks for guests who stay in their onsite hotels. From free transportation to the theme parks to special ways that maximize ride time, each of the Orlando behemoths has tempting offers to lure guests to their on-site accommodations. While both have good benefits, I have to give Universal the edge. Here's my comparison and why they win the on-site hotel stakes by a nose

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. scratch

scratch Member

I feel it's still comparing "oranges to apples" in a sense that WDW is a much bigger property and therefore, cannot offer the same type of perks as FOTL! ; Which Rocks! ; And now that PI is closed, they have CityWalk! Plus all the "hard ticket" events are geared towards the older crowds whereas, WDW gears to a more "family oriented" atmosphere!

I love them both!

3. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Good point on the apple to oranges observation. I've visited both WDW & Universal Orlando. Both have great attractions and City Walk does a have a more adult feel to it that DTD. Both parks are enjoyable.

4. deblen4

deblen4 Member

We've been to both Universal (1) and Disney World (10+) and I don't feel it's a fair comparison. ; Both are good in that you can spend a day or two at Universal, but you would rarely need to spend more than 3 days there. ; They do not have 'free' transportation from the airport and as the physical size must be so much smaller than Disney World, thus the reason it is easy to walk from parks to hotels. ; We stayed at the Royal Pacific resort and it was very nice. We also visited the Hard Rock hotel, and it was also very nice, but both are probably similar to the Deluxe hotels at Disney. ;
    You could spend 10 full days at Disney World and still not see everything. ; And I know some of the transportation routes take awhile, but I'd hate to walk from Animal Kingdom Lodge to the Magic Kingdom. ;
    Universal does have some good rides that we really enjoyed, but they don't seem to have the theme or atmosphere that the parks at Disney have. ; It's difficult to put into words the atmosphere that is just Disney? ; Or is it only felt by Disney addicts? ;)

5. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

I was expecting to be disappointed with Universal Orlando but I wasn't. DD 10 and I are huge Simpsons fan and the ride did not disappoint.
    Agreed it isn't Disney but for $80 for a 7 day 2 park US/IOA consecutive visit when we went last August was great deal. We stayed at SSR, didn't do any Disney parks and Went to Universal Orlando about 4 times.

I'll have no problem returning to Universal Orlando in a few years.

That front of the line perk must come in handy when Orlando Universal is crowded.

6. scratch

scratch Member

FOTL is the BEST! ; A couple of years ago, when we went during Spring Break, DD fell in love with the Mummie Ride! ; Since we were staying at the HRH, we did the ride at least 10 times in a row! ; without a wait! ; We had to stop due to the fact the lockers are only free for 30 minutes!LOL

This past Christmas, the rides were a bit of a wait but not like the "regular" visitors! ; And I have to agree, the new Simpson's ride! ; WOW! Something everyone has to experience! ;

Best way to get into a Universal Hotel, is keep looking for a supersaver rate! ; The FOTL is good for the whole day you check in and the the whole day you check out! ;

7. see, I'm a Disney gal thru and thru - I've done the Universal parks a couple of times, just not my cuppa... likely cause my kids are still young, but I'm not that 'big ride' kinda gal.

It's been a while since I've been to US thought - but isn't the Simpson ride a revamp of the older Back to the Future ride?

8. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

It's full of Simpsons irreverence and humour. As a huge Simpsons fans it was the highlight of mine and DD 10 trip last summer.