Destination Disney - Planning a great family vacation

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Sheila Gallant-Halloran, Jan 3, 2009.

1. http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/Articl ... ?e=1371271

It was getting a bit exasperating.

For weeks, my husband spent every spare minute scouring the Internet, researching just about every aspect of our family's coming vacation at Walt Disney World in Florida. He scrutinized restaurant menus and made dining reservations months in advance. He printed out maps of all four theme parks and the All Star Music Resort, where we'd sleep for six nights in September. He even printed up itineraries for every day of our stay - highlighting must-see attractions, pinpointing where we'd eat and forecasting backup plans in case of rain.

The fruits of his labour were then proudly encased in a neat maroon folder, with colour-coded tabs for categories including park hours, transportation and menus.

All this preparation seemed over the top to me. Wasn't a vacation supposed to be unstructured, unplanned, unfettered by schedules?

My frustration at all these painstaking preparations disappeared once we arrived in Orlando, settled in our hotel and headed out to our first park: Epcot. Stunned by the heat and humidity, daunted by the crowds, shocked by the sheer size of the place, we were all thankful for the magical Disney binder.

What should we see first?

Our itinerary recommended Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, a 3-D experience based on the Rick Moranis movie. It's a blast of in-your-face fun, with a giant dog who sneezes on the crowd and lab mice which "escape" and scurry through the theatre, their tiny paws seeming to brush our ankles. I wasn't alone in trying to spot furry white bodies once the lights went up.

Another highlight was Spaceship Earth: located inside Epcot's signature dome, it takes riders back in time for a look at the beginnings of human communication, then journeys forward through the centuries. A computer in each car allows riders to project themselves into the future - and to e-mail a greeting to friends and family back home. (Bring a list of contacts with you: I was frustrated at only being able to remember one address.)

After a few hours exploring Epcot, it was time to eat. Thanks to husband Mark, we had reservations at Boma, a buffet restaurant inside the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The food was sumptuous, flavourful and fresh; the service excellent. We later learned these qualities are hallmarks of Disney's full-service restaurants.

Luckily, our family of four was eating for free: thanks to a special WestJet deal, after paying for airfare, accommodation and park tickets, we'd gotten the Disney dining plan gratis.

It proved to be a huge value, saving us about $800 over the week. The biggest payoff came at the Wolfgang Puck café in Downtown Disney, where our elegant meal of pasta, followed by scrumptious desserts, would have cost $105. All we paid was a $20 tip.

While the free food promotion may not be available again, it's probably worthwhile to buy the dining plan -which offers credits towards full-service sit-down meals, quick-service fast-food fare and snacks. Disney food tends to be pricey.

That fact is among many crucial tips vacationers can glean by following Mark's lead and planning their Disney days well in advance. It may seem the antithesis of Mickey and magic, but some practical research could save your Disney dream from becoming a nightmare.

One of the best resources we found was a book called The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids. It offers helpful tips on everything from the best time of year to avoid crowds to the importance of taking a midday nap.

Those proved to be wise words. The parks were awash with strollers, many of them filled by over-tired, over-stimulated, screaming toddlers pushed by exhausted parents.

In my opinion, Disney is no place for tiny tots: days are spent walking several kilometers in sweltering weather, and, depending on how busy the place is, standing in lineups waiting for your turn on a ride. (Fastpass, available on many popular attractions, allows you to book a boarding time, significantly reducing waiting periods.)

Our girls are eight and 11, so naps weren't mandatory. But they were a helpful break on the days we left our hotel by 7:30 a. m. and spent a few hours at a park. Returning for a rest and refreshing swim recharged our batteries for an evening at Downtown Disney, with its exciting range of shops and restaurants.

Like everything at Walt Disney World, the downtown was accessible by free buses which serve each hotel. The transportation system is a major bonus of staying right in Disney, making it easy to reach the parks and get back to your resort. Crowding can be a pain, though; best to avoid travelling near the time that parks open and close.

Disney guests also have the advantage of extended hours, with theme parks either opening earlier or staying open later for visitors staying on site.

For a first visit, I'd recommend choosing a Disney resort. You have a convenient base for exploring the park, without having to worry about driving and parking fees. And there's a wide range of options, ranging from the clean, comfortable and affordable value resorts to extravagant villas with lots of luxuries.

As you make plans, you'll find reams of Disney-related info on the 'Net and in books. But one of the best resources may be more old-fashioned: talking to friends or acquaintances who've been there. Chances are, you'll hear something that can make your trip even more magical.

- - -

IF YOU GO

USEFUL PLANNING WEBSITES

* www.disney.ca

www.disneyworld.disney.go.com

* www.wdwinfo.com

* www.touringplans.com

* Google Earth: features a 3D map of four theme parks and 22 hotels, as well as links to blogs, YouTube videos and vacation info

HELPFUL READING

* The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2009

* The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids

DISNEY TRIVIA How many people work at Walt Disney World?: 60,000+ How big is Walt Disney World?: 47.5 acres

How old is Walt Disney World?: the Florida park opened in 1971, at a cost of $400 million

What do the letters EPCOT stand for:? Experimental Prototype Community of the Future

2. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Looks like the Expositor in Brantford, ON doesn't fact check very well

What do the letters EPCOT stand for:? Experimental Prototype Community of the Future

FTFY
    What do the letters EPCOT stand for:? Experimental Prototype Community of the Future Tomorrow

3. Yes, I'd caught that too :) - some good points, though - some I don't agree with (e.g., not taking tots to the parks) but like any article that is trying to serve many masters, there are kernels to be gleamed - take what's useful, and pass on the rest.