Disney Quest to close in early 2008

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Sean&Karen, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

What was once supposed to have been the flagship of an entire chain of 30 indoor theme parks, one that would have eventually encircled the globe, DisneyQuest will be closing in 18 months. Then this 5-story tall, 100,000 square foot structure -- which towers over the West Side section of Downtown Disney -- will be gutted & turned into a brand-new ESPN Zone.

According to one WDW insider who was privvy to this decision:

"I'll be sorry to see DisneyQuest go. But this is really the right choice for Downtown Disney. A ESPN Zone will freshen up the mix on the West Side. This new sports dining and entertainment venue will have strong appeal to both WDW guests as well as Orlando locals. And given that we'll regularly be doing broadcasts from an on-site studio, this ESPN Zone will also help up Downtown Disney's profile. So it's really a win-win for Walt Disney World."

As you might imagine, the cast members who currently work at WDW's DisneyQuest and/or the ESPN Club over at Disney's Boardwalk Inn resort (Which will be closing once WDW's new ESPN Zone opens) have a very different take on the company's decision to shutter its indoor theme park. Said one DisneyQuest staffer:

"This just stinks. Sure, attendance has been flat at DisneyQuest for the past few years. But that's because we haven't had a new attraction since "Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer Gold" replaces "Hercules in the Underworld" back in 2000. Plus Disney doesn't really promote us anymore to people staying on property. So how is DisneyQuest supposed to attract WDW guests with no shows and zero promotion?

If the company had just gotten behind us, I'm sure that we could have been a success ..."

Ah, but that was the real problem, folks. Disney Company executives felt that they'd already poured enough money into the development & creation of DisneyQuest. Initial work on the indoor theme park project began back in 1994, with proof-of-concept field tests of various proposed DQ rides & attractions (Remember the "Imagineering Lab" at Epcot's Future World? Where two lucky guests from each tour group got the chance to try out the prototype version of "Aladdin's Flying Carpet Ride"?).

After four years of R & D, the Walt Disney Company was finally ready to go forward with the DQ project. Which (in theory) would have brought the Disney theme park experience into urban enviroments. Which would have then allowed the Disney corporation to tap into a potentially huge new customer base.

The only problem was the initial cash outlay for constructing a DisneyQuest was huge. Enormous. $80 - $100 million each. And then ... Well, it was going to take Mickey years (and dozens of other DQs having to be built in untapped markets all around the world) before Disney Regional Entertainment (I.E. The division of the Mouse House that actually ran herd on the DisneyQuests) finally began making any serious money off of this project.

Which is why -- almost from the get-go -- the Walt Disney Company began cutting corners on the DisneyQuests. Whereas the WDW version was 100,000 square feet, the Chicago version of DisneyQuest (Which opened in June of 2000) was only 90,000 square feet. And the DQ that was in the works for Philadelphia (Before that project was abruptly cancelled in 2000)? That DisneyQuest was only supposed to be 80,000 square feet.

Given that the WDW version of DisneyQuest (Which had been built to handle 1400 guests an hour) rarely if ever met its attendance projections, the corporation quickly lost all enthusiasm for this project. Cutting back on its original plan to swap out 15-20% of the rides, shows & attractions every two years as well as abandoning its plan to build the other 28 DQs in the chain. The Chicago operation closed in September of 2001, after only 27 months of operation.

And the WDW version of DisneyQuest? ... Well, that's pretty much limped along ever since. The staff & management team there knew that the end was eventually coming. They just didn't know when Mickey would eventually pull the plug.

But clearly there were signs. When the DisneyQuest Emporium got rid of virtually all of its merchandise featuring the DQ logo and began selling generic Disney trinkets ... Well, that was one indication that Mouse House managers were finally getting ready to make their move.

Then earlier this year, when Walt Disney Company officials announced their plans to begin "freshening up" Pleasure Island by shutting down various stores & restaurants there that were under-performing ... DisneyQuest workers, realizing that this West Side facility hadn't ever met any of its attendance or financial projections in years, knew that DQ would soon be on the chopping block.

So, when I called a couple of DisneyQuest employees earlier this week looking for comment of the upcoming closing, most folks were sad but not surprised. Some even tried to be a bit upbeat. As one cast member told me:

"At least we're getting plenty of advance notice about the closing. Plus if they stick with this 18 months timetable, we'll still be able to celebrate DisneyQuest's 10th anniversary. That should be one hell of a party."

So just a "heads up" here, folks. If you're a big "CyberSpace Mountain" fan, make sure that you drop by WDW's DisneyQuest in the coming months and get in a couple of rides. For -- come January of 2008 (Reportedly right after the Christmas crowds go home) -- DisneyQuest will close its doors forever. And then -- after several months of extensive construction -- this distinct structure will eventually re-emerge as Downtown Disney's new EZPN Zone.

Disney PR types are hoping that this new sports dining and entertainment experience will be ready to open by October 1, 2008 (Just in time for Disney World's annual press event). But those who are familiar with all the work that will need to be done in order to change the old DisneyQuest building into a state-of-the-art ESPN Zone say that the proposed construction schedule is overly optimistic. And that -- more than likely -- it won't be 'til the late winter or early spring of 2009 'til this revamped West Side facility is actually ready to serve its first customer.

But what do you folks think? Are you sad to learn that Downtown Disney will soon be losing the world's only remaining DisneyQuest? Or are you excited to hear the West Side will soon have its very own ESPN Zone?

2. Treelo

Treelo Member

Personally, I don't much care for an ESPN Zone... but I'm not really surprised that DQ will be closing. ; It was pretty crowded when we first went in 2003... but when we were there a few weeks ago, it was practically empty. ; Some of the 'big draw' multi-player attractions were dead in the water (never good to see a huge space with absolutely nobody in it)... and several of the games were out-of-order. ; Even the 'rides' on the lower level were pretty lame and VERY short.

I'll be sorry to see CyberSpace Mountain go... that was fun. ; But it's one of those attractiopns that could easily be kept and plugged into any other venue with the space, so maybe they'll keep it around?

3. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

Hubby and I enjoyed it while we were there....but it was pretty dead - I really enjoyed playing some of the old games (Q-bert, Mr. Doo) and we had fun with the basketball and air hockey too.

4. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Not a lot of people travel to DW to play in an Arcade, people want to spend there time out doors and enjoying themselves in the sun. I think the idea of Disney Quest was a good one, but it's in the wrong location... shouldn't be at Disney, should be in a City like Calgary or Edmonton. Where kids can go to play and have a good time. while staying out of trouble.

5. Treelo

Treelo Member

I don't know about that... DH and I got the PLUS option on our park hoppers specifically for Quest (we're definitely not water-park people). ; For a few reasons... for CyberSpace, for the nostalgia games... and because it's a fun place to cool off that actually has something to do other than shop for even more Disney souveniers. ; (the cheesecake factory didn't hurt, either ;) )

Plus, free internet access, which came in handy since I needed to get in touch with someone on 'the outside'... and check that I got my recipes ;)

6. Ty

Ty Member

Is it worth going too? Or should i save my money and spend it else where!

7. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

Hubby and I really enjoyed it. We had purchased the plus option for our tickets, so we decided it was worth a shot to check it out...and it killed time waiting for our movie to start. ; If we go back before it closes, I would definitly check it out again.....

8. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

I liked it too, but i am a big computer geek! I can see why people are not going to it... But it was well worth the money! If there is a bad weather day coming up or a very hot day where you don't want to be outdoors... then i would hit up DQ then!