Disney Tripod

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by howeirdd, Dec 9, 2013.

1. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

Hi folks!

So my wife is looking to get a tripod for me this Christmas/birthday and I've had my eye on the MeFoto Roadtrip for a while, but then we saw a Dolica Reversible Traveler for a lot less but it seemed to have the same functions. Here are the two up for debate:

MeFoto Roadtrip Travel Tripod - http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx
    Cost: $159-185
    Folds down to: 15.4"
    Load Capacity: 17.6lb
    Max height: 61.2"

versus

Dolica Reversible Traveler - http://www.costco.com/Dolica-Reversible-Traveler-57%22-Tripod-with-Integratable-Monopod.product.100073661.html
    Cost: $59.99 until 12/15
    Folds down to: 12.5"
    Load Capacity: 15lb
    Max Height: 57"

They seem to be very similar in terms of features, but a pretty big difference in price and I was wondering if any of you folks had experiences with either. Or maybe there's something even better out there that I haven't heard about. Any help you guys could give would be great! Thank you!

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

The Me Foto is the one that a lot of people seem to be getting. ; I have the carbon fiber one on my wishlist. ; The extra 5 inches or so can be HUGE if it means getting up over someone or something. ; I have never heard of the Dolica but will look into it.

3. I just bought my first tripod last month--a Dolica proline 72". ; I've been very pleased with the build quality. ; It's not very posh, but it is a lot of bang for buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

Thanks a lot guys! It does seem like everybody's getting on the MeFoto bandwagon but it also looks like a somewhat elaborate tripod to set up. I watched a few videos for setting them up and it looks like something that needs a bit of practice before it becomes second nature.

Glad to hear that the Dolica has good build quality, I wasn't sure if it was the anodized color that made the MeFoto look stronger but it sounds like both have strength. Guess I'll do some more research and wait to see if any other thoughts roll in! Thank you!

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

Kinda late with my 2 cents, but I've had the T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10 Ball Head from Sirui for a while and I love it. Not exactly cheap, but I was looking for an ultra-compact and very light travel tripod. It's not quite as high as some, but even with the center column extended I've found it to be stable enough to do night long exposures if it isn't too windy.

Erich

6. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

No worries, Erich! I still haven't really decided, but I'm leaning more and more towards the MeFoto so any other thoughts are more than welcome. The Sirui looks like a great option, but it is a bit pricey. It looks like it has a similar setup in terms of the legs folding up into the center column, I'm wondering if you feel like it takes a while to set up?

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

Nope, it's simple. The tripod is small enough that I can wrap my hand around all the turn locks at once to open or close them when in the collapsed position. Saves a bit of fumbling. The locks to turn down the legs are simple lever locks like most tripods.

Erich