Finally - the big Tammy 150-600mm is on the way!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by zackiedawg, Sep 4, 2014.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Just got word from B&H that my Tamron 150-600mm lens, pre-ordered in Sony mount way back in January, has shipped today and is on the way. Should receive it by Monday. I've been waiting to get a hold of that thing!

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

cool! just in time for the birds down here!

3. zackiedawg

Indeed...migration has been kicking off the last week or two - despite the heat I've actually decided to haul out my DSLR and 300mm F4 a few times the past two weekends, whereas usually in this heat I stick with the A6000 combo for birding. I look forward to trying out the new big lens for some birding, though sounds like I'll miss this weekend - it will have to wait until next weekend for birding. And I can bring it to Disney in a few weeks to see if I catch any birds around the Saratoga Springs grounds - and maybe bring it to Animal Kingdom if I can stand the weight and bulk for the day. I can't wait for some cooler weather so I can haul both cameras around without collapsing in a melted heap!

4. zackiedawg

Well pulling up this old thread just to note I finally got my hands on my lens last night (for Sony mount). So nice to have a lens with the reach of the 600mm Tamron, in a package that can be easily handheld. The 150-600mm is beautifully built, very solid, smooth action, all rings nicely damped. Most important to me was usability at the 600mm end and F6.3, because honestly I'll be using the lens in that range probably more than 1/2 the time. I was limited to testing it last night upon arrival in failing light and only in my backyard, so it isn't a true test yet - but still let me get an idea how it will handle. The two shots below are with my A580 DSLR, handheld, F6.3, ISO1000 and 1600, and 600mm, shot in JPG, unedited from the camera...just wanted to make sure everything was aligned and focus was accurate, and nothing damaged in shipping:

[​IMG]

Link to the original size (click on 'original' under the photo): http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3702150612/photos/3020132/tamron-150-600-first-tests-001

[​IMG]

Link to original: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3702150612/photos/3020133/tamron-150-600-first-tests-029

The squirrel was about 25 feet away. The knight anole lizard was about 30-35 feet up a tree, and the tree was about 20 feet away from me.

Not bad - looking forward to really testing this lens out in the 'real world' this weekend.