flying with a tripod?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by gary, Nov 9, 2006.

1. gary

gary Member

how does one do this, i've always flown without tripod before, i called tsa and 2 different answers from 2 different airports, we've traveled whenever possible using well designed soft side backpack style carryon bags that have a lot of inside and outside compression straps so we haven't had to check a bag in a long time, i hate checking luggage, i've had my bags go to too many places i';m not at to really like this idea, plus it seems with unlocked luggage, every organized theft ring busted in last couple of years has involved tsa and luggage handlers
    gary

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

ditto

i echo your sentiments about lack of faith in TSA. my wife has had some ludicrous things appear missing from her checked suitcase (tweezers) and when she packs shampoo and the like in plastic sandwich bags and then they appear loose and leaking all over anything, i don't blame her for being upset.

at any rate, i have never had a problem with the tripod or monopod in the suitcase. but, i always keep the serial number and make/model on a card in my wallet, just in case. TSA regulations prohibit carrying on "club-like" devices which I think a monopod would classify as. not sure how a tripod would apply but I keep it in the suitcase just to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. gary

gary Member

guess i'll just have to suck it up and check a bag,
    i did get the luxisf , and then today, fresh from b & h the manfrotto pistol grip head, #3265, how do you feel about their quick release, i'm used to kirk and rrs plates, it was funny, i didn't open box until a short time ago after chores were done and i had a few moments of panic until i remembered the 3/8-1/4 bushing on my gitzo monopod, which was promptly cannibalized for said part
    gary

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Re: ditto

Huh? I thought the CT scanners would reduce the need for screening individually. Sheesh. Then again I've only seen the sticker showing checked once, and been screened additionally at the checkpoint once.

After 9/11.

before 9/11 I spent a lot of time at the checkpoint hand checking 60+ rolls of film.

5. I always buy lots of books and paper napkins from World of Disney, as the result, my luggage have always been manually inspected. When I look at their screen, stacks of books and stacks of napkins do look interestingly suspicious.