Help with camera questions...

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by scpergj, Jul 29, 2007.

1. scpergj

scpergj Member

Hi...

My family and I love to go to WDW. We live up in the Jacksonville area, and get annual passes about every other year. This year, our kids will be 9 and 5, which brings me to my question.

I am new to this site, and found it while looking for camera information. I'm posting here because I have an equipment question.

I currently have a Sony DSC-P52 point and shoot digital, as well as a Mamyia/Sekor 35mm, model 1000DTL, with two lenses...a Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f1:1.4, and a Hanimex 135mm f2.8. I am a pretty good photographer with this quite old camera (it was my grandfathers, and I know it's almost as old as I am...probably 35 years old or so), and have taken some quite nice pictures, but it's old, film, and HEAVY!!!

So...my question. I have determined that it is time to upgrade my photographic equipment, and have been looking at the various dSLR's. I have played with the Canon Rebel XTi, the Nikon D40x, and the Nikon D80, actually with the intent of purchasing a Canon Rebel XTi...and I hated it. My favorite, by far, was the D80. It just felt right in my hand.

I've read reviews all over the internet, and even checked out some photography magazines. Interestingly, I've found the overall reviews to really like the camera except for the price, and even some of those said it was worth it.

I would like to hear opinions from others that have used any of these cameras in real time, both for general family pictures as well as at WDW, I would appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Hi Kevin, welcome to the Boards. If I recall correctly there are some Nikon D80 users here, so hopefully they'll stop by.

Since you'll be starting from scratch for a dSLR system, I would say everything else doesn't matter except probably that and how you like the controls.

3. scpergj

scpergj Member

I appreciate that. I wasn't bashing the XTi, it just didn't feel good in my hand. The D80 just fit me better. I'm guessing that cameras can be a bit like pistols...after a certain price point, they all are (mostly) good, so you buy what fits you best.

4. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Ultimately, it was the way the Nikon D80 fit in my hand that ultimately pushed me to buy it.

The only reason I have regrets now is that I have made alot of friends who are into photography who all own Canons. The principals are the same, but it can be easier to get advice from the more experienced if you are talking about the same camera.

Plus, if they really like you and have better glass they may let you borrow...haha

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I love my d80 for the most part. I like it enough that I am going to use it till it breaks or dies. but i'm not the right person to ask. I have never even held a canon. I learned on my fathers nikon he bought in 1965, ( i really miss that mechanical meter, it was so easy to read) then I got my own nikon n2000 in 1990. I used that up to last November. If you are using an old camera I think you'll be more suprised and confused by all the new buttons and settings than anything else.

Just get what you like, they all take great pictures!

6. modemmike

modemmike Member

I went for the D50 because it had many of the same features as the D80 and for me the only real draw back was the lack of backlit LCD screen but I purchased a Nikon remote (NkionRemote.com I think it was) that also has a LED light on it which actually works perfectly for me. Now, don't quote me but I'm almost certain that only other thing the D80 has is better gaskets around the buttons and what not to keep out moisture and dust but I bought my camera a Ritz Camera and for a mere $60 more I got a complete "drop it in the pool and it's covered" warranty. I bought my at just the right time and got not only a free printer (which I didn't really need) but also a free lens and a $100 rebate. I think total I spent $599. I love this camera and can't believe it took me so long to buy one. I've had my D50 now since Xmas eve and have had zero problems with it.

7. Craig

modemmike, yeah youre right. I considered the d50 as well, but the d80 has a new bigger back lcd. also i had sd cards from other stuff and no cf cards.

one other thing to consider on the d40--it has no top lcd screen.

8. gary

gary Member

welcome to the board
    i am a long time canon user, so when i went digi, i stayed canon due to investment in glass already made, having said that, there's nothing at all wrong with the nikon digitals, we don't bash equipment here on this board, it's not allowed, and the competition keeps the marketplace healthy
    i picked up a rebel xti last feb, specifically for a trip to europe, small and lightweight, and i love it, but i agree that every once in a while it feels too small in my hands
    but as one poster stated, since you are starting from scratch, if the nikon feels the most intuitive in your hands, get that, it takes great photos, and since you face a new button/feature learning curve anyway, might as well have a comfortable fit on the camera while you spend time taking the 2000 or so experimental pics we all seem to do while climbing the digital learning curve

9. modemmike

modemmike Member

I just got this email and thought I would share, I'm endorsing ECost but it's a "Nikon Blowout" seemed fitting to post it here...

http://view.ecostemail.com/?j=fe9015767 ... 0778711c76

I will buy from Ritz / Wolf camera again if it were me simply because of their brick and mortar status plus they have an excellent extended warranty...

10. scpergj

scpergj Member

I'd like to thank all of you that took the time to reply.

I am planning to purchase the D80 as soon as the wife releases the funds...which may mean I have to cash in some stock (not retirement, just something I do on the side) or something! ;D

I'm not too worried about the learning curve with all the buttons and technical parts - I'm a programmer by trade, and a DBA...with a background in computer hardware, so I'm sure I'll be OK. All of that, and I really do use all of the different settings on my old manual SLR, so I have an idea or two on how they work...well, maybe ...

Now, which lens would you buy...or buy the body without a lens, then purchase a lens? I'm looking at the 18-135 MM kit lens, and adding the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens, but I'm not sure if I should get the 18-135 or the 17-55.

Thanks!

11. gary

gary Member

if you can afford it, body only, then spend as many $ as you can to get nikon's very best glass, if like canon they have a committment to not engineering out the mount, good glass never goes bad, if well cared for maintains it's value better, and if you ever go full frame, you'll be grateful for good glass, nothing shows a lenses faults like full frame
    definitely vr tech, you will still need the tripod for long exposure/night time wdw magic, but it helps a lot with handheld
    all of the concert threads i have on here are handheld stuff with canon is techno, and i think some of it's ok even if i say so myself
    it really does give a couple of stops more handheld
    several of us on the board preach the best glass gospel on a regular basis

12. Roger

Except Nikon doesn't have any full frame cameras out there, and it would be up to Sony to make a sensor that size. That's Canon's little "problem".

13. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Do you mean that's Nikon's "little problem", rather than Canon's ? The fact that they rely on a competitor (Sony) to make their sensors ? It certainly is a problem with Sony's increasing aspirations for the DSLR market.

I've got all Canon gear, and am pleased with it, but I haven't really used a Nikon since I bought my first digital camera (a Coolpix 950) years back ... so I can't compare and contrast at all. I'd consider looking at Costco for a camera, though, as they carry both the Rebel Xti and Nikon D80 at very competative prices. They have a 3 month return policy, and you can bring it back for any reason. Get it, use it, and make sure it's right for you. Other than that, I totally agree that you should look to invest in glass over body. You can use the same glass over multiple bodies, if you plan ahead.

As for bashing other equipment, that's what seperates this Community from the others out there - we just care about the photos (and Disney) ... not the gear. No one will castigate you for making a "wrong" choice. Unless, of course, you elect to go with a tripod other than the Velbon Ultra Luxi F ... Tim seems pretty commited to that one :)

14. Roger

Actually I was answering gary's comment about getting good glass. Canon FF = bad images from the less expensive glass. Probably also why a lot of professionals use the 5D over the 1Ds MkII - with more MP, the lens problems are more visible.

That's the main reason they had to replace the 16-35L so soon. And why Canon's new lenses are going for 82mm filter size.

As for Sony, we'll see what they've come up with.

15. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

like i've said before,
    top of line camera with cheap glass = waste of money
    entry level camera with good glass = you're in business.

glass is ALWAYS more important than body, and it doesn't depreciate anywhere near as fast as the camera body.

16. scpergj

scpergj Member

Ok...good glass.

I understand the idea - buy good quality lenses, the result will be best no matter what body you go with. So...what constitutes good glass? If I buy a Canon or a Nikon body, are matching brand lenses necessarily the best way to go...or are Sigma or Tamron just as good? I can read the numbers and understand the basic meaning of them, but how to I pair up a lens to whatever body I have?

Sorry about all the questions...I just want to do this as with as good a result as I can.

17. Craig

my honest opinion for nikon digital is the newer nikon 18-200 vr. it is very high quality and that is an outstanding zoom range. I probably use that for 90% of everything. it is very convient in disney world. however, it is not fast enough for dark ride pics, but it is fanastic for buildings and general scenery. this lens will not work on a film camera though. it is designed just for nikon digital bodies. I love this lens!

18. gary

gary Member

i would reccommend sticking with the same make glass as whatever camera you get, i've used several 3rd party lenses over the years with mixed results, there seems to be less quality control and compatibility issues with staying brand specific
    one source i've used for high quality used glass in good shape is www.keh.com, a dealer in marietta georgia. most of my canon L grade lenses i bought used from them, including the 200 2:8 i used to take the motorcycle race pic i just posted.
    i've been a several time satisfied user. and good condition used glass is a little less expensive way to get into pro grade glass, which if this will be a lifelong hobby is the only way to go for the long term.
    my .02 worth

19. scpergj

scpergj Member

First, I would like to thank everyone for their posts on this thread. I continued to do my research, and earlier this week purchased my new camera - Nikon D80 w/18-55mm kit lens.

I now have some lenses on my list (for Christmas!), as well as some other equipment, and I am saving my pennies for the Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6G VR ED lens.

I can't wait to come back from our trip in two weeks and share some pictures! Again, thanks for your advice. With all of the rest of the research I did, and what I learned at the stores, I'm sure that I'll be very happy with my purchase!

Kevin

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

The D80 is a very nice camera. You'll be very happy with it.

I know you've already done tons of research, but let me make two more suggestions. First, if you haven't already found it, check out the reviews here. The reviews are at the bottom. I've found Bjorn's comments to be spot on. Second, when choosing your list of glass, you might want to consider getting lenses made for full frame, not DX since Nikon has introduced a camera with a full frame sensor. That way you wouldn't have to replace any glass if you upgrade to a full frame body in the future. I have only purchased lenses that will work with full frame for that very reason. Just my 2¢ worth.

Can't wait to see the pictures!