Hydroplane Racing

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This year's Syracuse Hydrofest started today despite the steady rain. ; I was able to get onto one of the official boats out on the course and caught these two Grand Prix class boats going side by side through a turn.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/1000s, f/4, ISO 400, EV +0.3, 200mm focal length

Miss Dinomytes (GP46) driven by Pierre Maheu from Quebec, Canada, chases down the leader durng a Grand Prix Hyrdroplane heat during the Syracuse Hydrofest.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/5.6, ISO 400, EV +0.3, 200mm focal length

Rolling Thunder (GP88 on the left) and Miss Dinomytes (GP46) race past the Start/Finish line durng the Grand Prix Hyrdroplane heat during the Syracuse Hydrofest on Saturday, June 20. 2009.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/1600s, f/4, ISO 400, EV +0.3, 200mm focal length

More to come.

2. gary

gary Member

good shots of a very dangerous sport, did you see/ photo the crash, given that both drivers are now reported to be doing well at the hospital i'd guess it's ok to post any

3. goofy101

goofy101 Member

thats a great shot scott

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I was too far away but did see the one boat go airborne over the other. ; In fact, the boat on the inside (closest to the camera) in the photo was the one that got ran over. ; As you can see, the day was very grey, the water was grey and the boat was grey. ; The lap after I took this, it died down the front stretch and the other ; boat couldn't see it and plowed right into it.

Here's a close up of Long Gone (GP7) driven by Jimmy Shane which went airborne. These boats can go in access of 150mph. ; The driver in the boat with me said he was probably doing 130 when the boats hit.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/1000s, f/4, ISO 400, EV +0.3, 200mm focal length

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This is the Grand Prix hydroplane boat GP46 Miss Dinomytes driven by Pierre Maheu from Quebec that got ran over in this highly cropped photo. ; Notice it's missing the 1200HP engine which is now at the bottom of Onondaga Lake. ; The driver was unconscious for about 20 minutes. ; Both drivers are reported to be in good condition at a Syracuse hospital this morning.

[​IMG]

You can see how hard it is to see this boat with it's coloration and weather conditions. ; Remember, the drivers sit only about 2 feet about the water. ; It was raining steadily to add to mix.

6. gary

gary Member

that looks fairly close to the shoreline?? unless i'm mistaken, that's that old bridge over the outlet to the seneca river, behind long gone, west shoreline parking area is where i park to ride the bike trails

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Nice photo's! ; I love watching these races because they are exciting to watch and of course the crashes are incredible. ; I am glad to hear that the drivers are doing well.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The telephoto lens is compressing the shot, Gary. ; They weren't as close as it looks. ; You got the location correct. ; That's the Thruway bridge and the single lane bridge beyond that.

9. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Great action shots Scott.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Wasn't all fun and games for some of the drivers. ; Here's Claude Bergeron, driver of the Grand Prix 444 Valleyfield hydroplane boat, waiting to be towed in after his boat lost power during the Syracuse Hyrdrofest on Saturday, June 20, 2009 while a 1.0 Liter Modified race is being run.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/5.6, 400 ISO, EV +0.3, 200mm focal length

NOTE: I've added more photos to the original post.

11. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

cool shots Scott!
    that looks like a fun way to spend the day and watch the races!
    you got great seats!

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

What do you get when you put a 283 Covette engine in a fishing boat? ; Something that's called a Jersey Speed Skiff. ; All I can say is there must be some fast fish off the Atlantic coast!

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/640s, f/6.3, 400 ISO, EV +0.3, 200mm focal length

13. gary

gary Member

great shot of the speed skiff, and that's probably not a whole lot different than those bass boats with the huge engines hanging off the back, those things step it out pretty good, although the flat low hull design of a freshwater bass boat would disintegrate in about 2 minutes in the salt water wave/chop action

14. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Cool stuff - thanksfor sharing.

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

How about an open cockpit shot? ;

The 1.5 Liter Stock class T125 My Shameless Mistake being driven by John Shaw racing on Onondaga Lake. ; The 1.5 Liter class are, on average, about 13 and a half feet in length and can reach speeds of 95mph using Toyota engines.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/5.6, ISO 400, EV +0.3, 200mm focal length