Lauderdale Air Show

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Hockeyman, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Hockeyman

Hockeyman Member

Anyone ever shoot at this air show? I went last year after it came back after years away and tried shooting but the weather was horrible and made it tough. Thinking about going late this month but now they have the sequester going on none of the jets will be there, which is my favorite part. So now I don't know if we are gong or not.

2. Hockeyman

Hockeyman Member

Here are ; few shots I took last year. Looking back at them now, my PP skills and composition was something I needed to work on lol.

[​IMG]
    USAF Thunderbirds by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Geico Skytypers by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Black Diamond Jet Team by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

These guys were the stunt doubles in the 3rd Transformers movie when they jumped into the Chicago streets from the helicopters.

[​IMG]
    Red Bull Stunt Team by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

You're lucky - they completely canceled the Indy Air Show when the Blue Angels pulled out. ; My guess is they can't make enough money without a big-name (free) act to pay all of the other acts.

If you want your local air show to continue, then I suggest attending. ; Sure, the military teams are great, but they're only the last 15-20 minutes of the day. ; There's still a lot of good stuff to see.

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Airshows are being canceled all over the country due to the sequestration military acts and static planes not participating. It's costing local communities more than is being saved. Cleveland, one of the longest running airshows in the country, and continuously since 1964 has been canceled for this year.

Erich

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

First off, real nice stuff! ; Those clouds in the second to last shot really give it some mood. ;
    I found an airshow last year in Reading PA that is really just WWII era aircraft, billed as the largest Warbirds show in the country (not sure if that is true). ; I hope it does not go by the way of the others as my father and I have this one on our calendar now for each June!

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

It looks like you're in luck, John: ; the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's show is still scheduled for the first weekend in June. ; Shows like this one should not be affected since they don't depend on the military teams to draw a crowd.

Get some shots of Fifi for me!

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks! ; We have a hotel for Saturday night, so we can hit the show both Sat and Sun.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I could still be shooting Crunch hockey that weekend. Might be a last minute decision, John. ; Or, I could be at WDW that weekend. Depends on how far the Crunch go into the playoffs.