New Animal Kingdom Tour

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Scottwdw, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Sounds awesome but a bit expensive. ; 129 as introductory could be painful. ; I am sure I will do it at least once though. ;

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Most WDW tours are in the plus $100 range now. ; This one is 3 hours long, has some interesting activities and includes some snacks. ; Leaning on doing it as I will be there during the intro time in January. Who knows what it will cost after that!

4. Paul

Paul Member

Sounds great, will have to see what the cost will be by next Summer (next scheduled family trip). ; 4 x $1XX adds up! ; Maybe its time to start letting the kids roam the parks while we take tours!!

5. Tim

Sounds like a future PM event...

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Oooo...group rate!!!!! ; I like that it will be kept to a small group of 12.

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

$129 to start! ; :D

May look into it for my May trip; I enjoyed the Concierge tour that was available, but you didn't get out of the short bus on the Savannah..... (no seat belts, you can move out of your seats once you're on the savannah, but no handles either. ; Fortunately I know how to anchor myself in a moving vehicle over bumps)

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

Looks like an interesting tour.

9. gary

gary Member

no cameras allowed, which really reduces the attractiveness for me

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

Yeah, that would probably cause me to cross it off the list as well. ; I must have missed the fine print.

11. Tim

I missed that one as well. If so, count me out.

12. Roger

I don't think it was missed, those points finally showed up in the comments.

The first few questions were the min. age, and that was answered as well.

So someone who bought the tickets either asked the question or was told:

Must be 9 or older, no DVC/AP discounts, no cameras or camcorders....

For the tour at the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park that brings you that close as well...guess what....they allow pictures.[nb]But they're smart, they control all copyrights on any pictures taken on their property. ; It's on the back of the ticket.[/nb]

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

What would be the reason Disney would do this? ; I know that most people that would go on this tour would not be avid photographers, but I would think they would still like to take some pictures.

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Me, too, Gary. ; I just wrote a comment asking why. I'll see if it gets past moderation and the question is answered. The blog should have addressed this as well as the age requirement. ;

As for what the San Diego Zoo does, that is just as bad as all the TOS agreements out there which grab content rights. ; If the Zoo likes a photo I take in their zoo or on a tour I pay extra for, they should compensate me for it.

15. Roger

Okay, let me clarify that. ; Their photography policy grants the rights to personal use. ; However, if use images taken on their property for any commercial use, that is prohibited without their permission. ; It doesn't give them the right to take your pictures without you voluntarily submitting it to them. ;

The reason I bring it up is that unless they've changed some other major companies haven't really addressed that yet.....

16. ELinder

ELinder Member

I could understand no camera use during certain parts of the tour, such as when hooked up to the safety line, but to exclude them from the whole tour is just plain dumb.

Erich

17. Paul

Paul Member

Bizarre policy, but I guess they limit photographs during other tours correct? ; Photography policies and enforcement don't always match either. ; Concerts are a good example where they state on tickets no cameras allowed, then you get to the concert and there are point and shots and even some DSLRs and of course camera phones. ; All of which can now record video as well.

18. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I had called to book the tour for my February trip before reading this. ; As the agent was going over the stipulations... Age, height, Size (due to harnesses over rope bridge - but can be bypassed), then got to NO CAMERAS. ; I asked her why and she stated that you are in "Backstage" areas the entire time, so no photos. ; I told her that the photos were the only reason for taking the tour and to cancel the reservation. ; Even with Backstage Safari you can bring cameras, just not take photos in the Backstage areas (which is 90% of the tour). ; But seriously, what is the point of having a "Safari" meal in a stilted tent next to the animals if you can't take photos. ; As cool as the tour sounds, no photos means no going...

19. Roger

Well hopefully that will get them to change their mind on the policy. ; Maybe all of us should call to reserve a date/time, then cancel when they say no cameras! ; That might get their attention!

20. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

The thing with any tour is that they give so many of them, it's not like anything is a secret anymore. ; Personally, if a modest amount of areas were open for photography while "on tour", I think that would peak MORE interest rather than less. ; It can't be about stealing technology because most of that is already out there or not in any area that the tour goes. ; Well, until they change their policy on cameras I guess I will be passing by this tour. ;