New Camera Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by Imaginerd, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Imaginerd

Imaginerd Member

Sure I love taking pictures with my iPhone and my little point and shoot. But I need something to keep up with Mr. Devine and the rest of you talented photographers. I'm looking to start small with something that has a great optical zoom. I'm not a big fan of digital zoom. I was thinking about the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. Any suggestions for a good starting camera?

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Well the Rebel is a good start but remember on those or even a new mirrorless camera you have to buy the optical zoom, and the more money you spend, the better the lens (in general, this is not always the case).

I think the first step for buying a new camera is determining what does your current camera not do or not do well that you want from a future camera. ; Then we can look at alternatives.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a great starting place Roger. ;

4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

My tip is to do your research then go to the camera store and actually hold your top contenders. ; You can't get the best out of a camera if the controls are awkward. ; And don't be afraid to buy a good used body. ; You might get more camera for less money. ; Renting is also a good way to research cameras without laying out a lot of money.

5. Imaginerd

Imaginerd Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm trying to get one for Christmas from the fiance but we will see. I'm thinking something that is somewhat light weight and has great night time settings along with the time lapse feature.