Night shots

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by DisneyGeek92, Jan 31, 2008.

1. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Last night I wanted to take some long exposures so I went out and got my tripod set up all the settings at where I thought they should be and went to take the picture and my auto focus wouldn't well focus. I assume the problem was with the amount of light but are there any tips for auto focus at night? Please help I love night photography but it's not working for me.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

What exactly are you trying to photograph? While modern AF sensors use phase detection rather than contrast detection, you still need contrast to be able to autofocus effectively at night. The newer models are coming out with sensors more designed for low-light, esp. with large aperture lenses.

I've found that unless you are shooting something with contrast from a light source, you're going to need to manual focus. And when I'm shooting on a tripod I usually use only manual focus when I couldn't move AF off the shutter release to an independent button.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I was trying to photograph a street at night. In my neighborhood there are no street lights.

4. Roger

Yeah I don't think there is any AF system that would work for that without some major assist lights - and probably have to be infrared AF assist. Except maybe when the moon is full.

5. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

That's what I thought. Thanks for the help.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

the best way to focus in low light is to try to find something bright and focus on that. the camera can very easily focus where there is a difference in light levels (bright and dark) then you can just recompose the photo and you should be in business. its the same thing as trying to take a picture of a piece of paper with no writing or lines on it... nothing to focus on. but, if you added a small dot to the page, you could focus on that very easily. same idea. next time, try taking a flashlight with you and using that to help focus.

7. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Thanks for the tip Tim.

8. Tim

no problem... its the same thing when shooting inside a dark ride and you can't find anything to focus on.

9. Roger

Dark ride? With this? ;D

How come I have a feeling there would be an announcement?
    [me=Roger]hates going on HM with a bunch of rowdy (usually teenagers) guests because the CMs have to make an announcement for everyone to stay in their vehicles. Bad show.[/me]

10. Tim

of course... do not bring flashlights with you on attractions.

11. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I made the assumption that you were referring to the tip about focusing on something bright in a dark ride not flashlights.

12. Roger

j-o-k-e?

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

So, back in high school, I didnt jump out of the car, but my buddy with me did. In the graveyard. He ran around like an idiot until he fell on the netting which is only about 5 or 6 feet in. They stopped the ride, he jumped back in the car, the ride started again, and noone ever said anything to him.
    He is now a doctor! He was one of those guys that was "too" smart and goofed off at everything.

BTW: Tim, thanks for the tip. thats a good idea about focusing on some light. I have always switched to manual focus. I miss the focusing screen on my n2000. THe green focus dot in the viewfinder is kind of a joke.

14. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I can't believe no one said anything to him. I'll have to try that.

15. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I should have added that they did start running the canned stay in your vehicle spiel.

16. Roger

Maybe the CMs on the left coast are more quick to call out the (usually) locals vs the touristy park.

17. Dan

Dan Member

I have my own idea for a way to get a focus target in a dark scene (where you don't have any restrictions, I'm NOT talking about dark rides here). Laser pointer. I tested it out once and it seemed to work. The idea is that it could work at longer distances where the light from a flashlight might diffuse more. You'd have to hold it still, my test was only close range so it was easier.

Frankly I wish I just had an infinity button. In general my night shots are usually focused to infinity (well, the hyperfocal distance would be better, but I haven't messed around with that yet). I typically do it by finding the farthest light I can, focusing on it, and then switching to manual focus. Normally it's a street light (the street light itself, not the area it illuminates), although once it was a light on a barn a good distance away.

In case you're wondering, this idea IS a ripoff of something Sony used in one of their prosumer digicams. I don't know if they still use it. It projected a laser grid onto your target and used it for focus information. Since I lack a laser grid system I just use a laser pointer spot, I can still focus on it. I've never used it in practice though, I imagine it could get difficult to hold it steady enough and I've typically managed using other means.

18. Tim

my little sony v-1 used the laser system (aka "holographic AF assist") which projected a series of red hash marks to give the camera something to focus on. worked pretty well; looked really wacky.

19. Dan

Dan Member

I always thought like it looked like something out of science fiction, I'm thinking something like the laser digitizer from TRON.

20. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Sony's AF assist tech is really nice, but it's annoying as heck when some amateur uses it inside a dark ride. I rode Peter Pan next to some idiot taking snap shots from the car in front of us, and every single dark scene had criss-cross red lasers flashing against it. On the other hand, I used to have a Sony P&S and it's low light focusing was tremendously impressive ... and this was 5 years ago.