Nikon 50mm (or other) recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Paul, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Paul

Paul Member

I have access to a D800 and I'm looking to get a prime lens for general purpose shooting and keeping costs low! Any recommendations for a 50mm or other lens that would be cheap we would be great. ; Seems like there are many Nikon 50mm available including their older film versions which I am not opposed to, especially of I get get a great deal.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Define "access" Paul.

Is this going to be a regular occurence, or just when you need it?

Obviously the latest AF-S 50/1.4 is the best, although the Sigma 50 gets rave reviews too.

Personally with those many MP I would use the MF Zeiss 50. ;

But if you are looking for the best bang for your buck the old 50/1.8 is a great lens. ; It will AF but won't be as quiet as the modern USM/AF-S lenses.

3. Paul

Paul Member

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yep, that's the one!

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Once thing about using the older Nikon lenses is that you can't override auto-focus by just turning the focus ring. ; You have to switch the camera to manual focus. ; That drives me crazy with my old 70-300.

Of course, if you're shooting relatively static subjects, that's not a problem.

Oh, and be sure to buy a few extra terabytes of hard drives so you have room for all of those 40 Mb raw files. :)

6. Paul

Paul Member

Good points Dennis.

The 50mm/1.8 looks like a good deal right now. Is the 1.4 worth the added cost?

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

I would stay away from the "D" version and go with the newer "G" version. ; I have an 85mm f1.4D and a 50mm f1.4G and the G focuses much faster. ; As to weather the 1.4 is worth the extra cost, I don't know because I've never used the 1.8

8. sbcampbe

sbcampbe Member

I have the 1.8D. It's a fine little lens. It focuses plenty fast for my purposes and doesn't search much. It's pretty good at f/1.8 and very sharp at f/2.8. It is noisy and plasticy though.

One advantage of this lens is it can be picked up on eBay for less than $100 and re-sold for what you pay for it (just watch for a good one). You can't rent one for that price.

9. fotodave

fotodave Member

I shoot with a 50/1.8 a lot of the time. ; Used it with film a very long time ago. Cant beat it for the price.

Highly recommend, get the Nikon version. Avoid Sigma.

10. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks for the input everyone, I placed an order with KEH for a used 1.8D.