Nikon D7100 First Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Scottwdw, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Got it yesterday but could not unbox it until today. ; Here are three straight out of camera. ; Click the first one for the original and hopefully you will see it.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D7100/50mm, 1/250s, f/4.5, ISO 1000, EV 0, pop-up flash.

These two show you the 1.3x crop. ; Taken with a 70-200VR I at 200mm. ; Model moved but remained in the same location from me (for once!). ; ::)

Normal DX crop (1.5x = 300mm 35mm equivalent)
    [​IMG]
    1/250s, f/2.8, ISO 250, EV 0

1.3x Crop (1.5x X 1.3x = 390mm 35mm equivalent)
    [​IMG]
    1/250s, f/2.8, ISO 200, EV 0

Exif data says it is using a 1.3x digital zoom which is cool.

Taking it to the Crunch game tonight and will add more photos tomorrow.

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

Looking forward to your impressions of the new autofocus. My battery is in the charger.

Erich

3. HW

HW Member

so what ya think so far Scott? I kept reading about how bad the buffer is but I find it a little faster than the D7000 even though at the highest bit rate and lossless compression I only get 6 raws till it slows to about 2 fps but if I stop for a second it is ready pretty quick. 12 bit raw and lossy is faster and using the 1.3 crop gives 15 raws before slow down.got a 95mb/s card which may help also
    here is one of my first shots with it using the tamron 70-300.
    Remo the cat wanted in on the action too so he photo bombed me

Attached Files:

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Great photo bomb! ; I will let you know about the buffer tonight after the Crunch game. ; Since I am shooting JPEG, I do not expect it to be an issue.

Like having two memory slots. ; Will use an Eye-fi card in the second slot next weekend so Crunch can tweet out game photos during the game. ; At least that is my hope.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Being able to do that is awesome. I got the following pic retweeted like crazy a few mins ago:

Attached Files:

6. Roger

I should comment that pic is not from a D7100.

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

Wow Scott, the hair and eye detail in that first shot is great! I went the opposite direction and went straight to the torture tests. This may not be much for you full frame folks, but as a DX user I'm impressed. ; Can't wait for Aperture and Photoshop to support the RAW files. This was straight saved no processing from the RAW file with the Nikon converter. Resized and a full crop. I can't describe how dreary and dark it was to the naked eye when I snapped this.

Erich
    D7100, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 at 200mm and f/8 and it autoselected ISO 6400

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

8. ELinder

ELinder Member

full size crop section

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

9. Roger

Adobe will support it soon. I heard the beta release already supports it - ACR

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Howie, that's a classic of Remo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Howie, that's a classic of Remo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

About last night...

Having issues with the AF-C (Continuous AF) which uses Predictive Focus. It was not very predictive for ice hockey. ; Lots of focused photos on the background and not the players. ; I do see in the manual I can tweak it more so will be reading up on that later. ; Otherwise, the camera performed great. ; Good color and excellent Auto WB (better than the D700's) which takes one less setting I need to remember off my list.

UPDATE: The Exif data reports a 2x 35mm when using the 1.3x Crop so at 200mm it says it's 400mm. ; I think it's really 390mm but who am I to complain about 10mm. ; ::)

No trouble with the buffer as I shoot JPEG.

All taken with the Nikon 70-200VR I lens.

[​IMG]
    1/1000s, f/2.8, ISO 900, EV +1.0, 200mm (300mm cropped)

[​IMG]
    1/1250s, f/2.8, ISO 2500, EV +1.3, 200mm (400mm cropped)

[​IMG]
    1/1250s, f/2.8, ISO 1250, EV +1.3, 200mm (400mm cropped)

[​IMG]
    1/1250s, f/2.8, ISO 1800, EV +1.3, 200mm (400mm cropped)

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice! ; Good to see Brodeur's unfortunate successor.

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yeah, those will be very big pads to fill. ; Kinkaid came in after the starter got shelled for six goals in the first two periods. ; I like his game a lot and should be on the Devils next season when Brodeur retires. ; I can not see him trying to keep going with a wonky back.

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Yet he is signed through spring 2014. ; I hope the wonky back is not a sign of him being old, but not to confident with that!

16. ELinder

ELinder Member

Nice Scott. What focus point setting were you using with the AF-C?

Erich

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

That was the problem, I was using AF-C without choosing Dynamic Focus points using the front camera dial. ; I have since found I can do so like the D700. Figured it was there just did not read far enough into the manual before heading to the game. ; Got another game Wednesday night. ; Just have to figure out how to carry two cameras until I invest in a system.

18. ELinder

ELinder Member

19. gary

gary Member

check out the offerings from think tank, i just recently got a belt and harness setup from them, works great for the rail photo charters, probably what i'll use at this years oats festival as i have to do a lot of stick and move type shooting for them as they have the 2 stages a good 1000 feet apart. the roots and branches stage is newgrass and i guess the first year they had it the older traditionalists found it a little too radical. so i usually end up comandeering the security golf cart, but the tank setup allows me to swap in and out of lenses between the 35 and the 70-200. since i still have the 5dmk2 i may go 2 bodies this year and think tank has a 2 body holster setup that mates with my existing belt

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Gary, I already use Think Tank bags and their excellent belt and pouch system.

Here's some more D7100 hockey photos from Wednesday. ; Still not totally happy with AF. ; Used AF-C in Dynamic 9 Point like I do on my D700. ; Any suggestions from the D7000 owners out there? Should I try Auto or go all in with 51 points?

Jared Nightingale (42) firing a shot at the net.
    [​IMG]

Normal DX @ 200mm (300mm)
    [​IMG]

1.3x Crop @ 200mm (400mm)
    [​IMG]

Dan Sexton (16) digging out the puck from behind the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins goal.
    [​IMG]

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins goalie Jeff Zatkoff (37) searching for the puck against the Syracuse Crunch
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch goalie Cedrick Desjardins (30) stops a scoring attempt by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Zach Sill (11) in American Hockey League (AHL) action at the Onondaga County War Memorial on Wednesday, March 20, 2013. Syracuse won 1-0.
    [​IMG]