Nikon finally updates the 80-400, will cost you more than the 70-200/2.8

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Looks good and it's about freaking time! ; People are bitching about the price so I might see if Nikon discounts this by year's end some. Oh, you forget to mention...AF-S!!!!!!!

They say timing is everything and I should have sold my 80-400VR last fall. Oh, well, I am sure I will get something for it when the time comes.

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

Interesting that they built it to accept TCs too. Wonder if all future zooms will be like that.

Erich

4. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Scott, I just sold mine. I got $1000 for it. and paid $1346 new in 07

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I noticed that, too. ; Wonder if you need a newer dSLR for it. ; The 70-200 VRII can use a TC20e with great results IF you have a D600/D800/D4 but not older dSLRs. ; :p

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Good to know, Craig. ; Thanks!

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

Well, they say the newer cameras have autofocus at f/8, but I was able to use my D90 too. It was slow, but it worked.

Erich

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I mentioned this on my blog today. ; IF you bought the new D7100 and this lens (or the old version) you would have a poor man's 800mm VR f/5.6 lens. ; Actually, it works out to be 780mm using the D7100's 1.3x Crop mode (400*1.5*1.3=780). ;

So, for just less than $4K (before taxes and shipping), you can save $14K over buying the Nikon 800mm VR f/5.6 lens. And it's hand holdable, too! :) :D ;D ::) :bstar:

9. ELinder

ELinder Member

I, um, er, I'll let you know how the crop mode works. Darn B&H link. :D

Erich

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Why you old dog! ; Hope Nikon comes through with enough units for everyone.

11. ELinder

ELinder Member

I probably would have waited, but the new autofocus pushed me over the top. I'll be at the Sun-n-Fun airshow in Florida in April, and the thought of using an improved D300 autofocus appealed to me.

Erich