North & South Dakota Trip

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Heading back out west this week. ; While it did snow there last week, it will be gone by the time I get there and it sure won't be -20 F this time either!

[​IMG]
    Back to the Badlands of North Dakota by Scottwdw, on Flickr

I'll add photos to this thread as I get them uploaded.

2. HW

HW Member

in 2 months where you live will look like that

3. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sounds great! ; Business or fun?

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

All fun. ; Were you at TMIP back in January when I drove my daughter out to North Dakota? ; That's when the top photo was taken. ; I have a few threads around here from that trip. ; This time I get more time to see the sights including a trip down to Mount Rushmore.

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Awesome!!!! ; I only just recently have been coming here on a daily basis (sometime hourly) so I did not see the photos from your trip last Jan. ; I will go back and look for them! ; Definitely jealous about the trip, looking forward to your posts!

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Visited Theodore Roosevelt National Park yesterday on an overcast day. ; Really brought out the colors of the landscape and animals. ; Unlike in January, I was able to take the time to explore the south section of the park. ; Even did a couple of hikes through the Badlands.

Views from the top of the Ridgeline Nature Trail.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/250s, f/8, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 28mm focal length

[​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/60s, f/6.3, ISO 200, EV 0, 300mm focal length

Scoria Point Overlook. ; Scoria is the process which created the red colored rock formations.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/60s, f/16, ISO 400, EV 0, 28mm focal length

Wind Canyon. ; Want to go back here when there is better light.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/25s, f/16, ISO 200, EV +0.6, 28mm focal length

Here are a few of the denizens of the park.

American Bison Bull coming right at you. ; :)
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/125s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 300mm focal length

Black-tailed Prairie Dog. There are huge towns throughout the park.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/125s, f/5.6, ISO 400, EV +0.3, 300mm focal length

Wild (feral) horses. ; These are not Mustangs but horses released by farmers who could not afford to keep them back in the 1920's. Quite the genetic mix.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/125s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV +1.0, 85mm focal length

Rainy today so will spend the day shopping in the towns. ; Heading to Mount Rushmore tomorrow when the weather will be warm and sunny the rest of the weekend. ; Will be re-visiting TRNP on Sunday as I search for more wildlife.

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Scott, I just love these! ; I am sitting in my classroom at lunch and wishing I were there! ; I really like the bison. ; Was that with a zoom? ; A little too close for me!

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

That was with the Nikon 28-300VR at 300mm on the D700. ; He was only 20 feet away at this point. ; He got to within 8 feet of the car. ; Here's a close up taken from INSIDE the car. ; There were two of them who came up to the road to pose for a few of us visitors.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/60s, f/5.6, ISO 500, EV -0.3, 300mm focal length.

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Simply awesome!!!! ; Large animals make me nervous!!

11. Paul

Paul Member

very cool Scott....those Bison look somewhat different than the ones in Yellowstone

12. gary

gary Member

hey john, you want some scale on how large these bison really are, go on over some time to my site, check out the quest for the west album, the gallery from the jackson part of the trip, i have one in there taken from the driver seat of a toyota minivan, mirror included for scale purpose, then talk about large animals make one nervous.

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Found that shot, all I can say Gary is WOW! ; I not sure if I would be amazed or totally freaked out in that situation. ; Someday I hope to find out!

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Wait for the Light (Click on link for more information about these photos.)

Before the Sun broke through the clouds in Painted Canyon in Theodore Roosevelt National Park yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/30s, f/16, ISO 220, EV 0, 105mm focal Length

I saw the light coming from the horizon and waited 15 minutes for this one.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/60s, f/16, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 78mm focal Length

Of course, you know I could not stop photographing with light like this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much more fun with the Sun than without. ; :)

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

John, I felt no danger as long as I stayed in the car. ; The Bison are very used to the cars and went about their business of eating grass and rubbing against trees (see below).

[​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/602, f/5.6, ISO 320, EV -0.3, 300mm focal length

16. HW

HW Member

Scott those landscape shots in the great light are fantastic

17. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Scott this second set is simply amazing! ; I love the colors in them. ; I would feel much better from inside a car. ; I guess I thought you were outside the car for the bison shots.

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Back from the South Dakota portion of the trip. ; Had absolutely no iPhone or computer Internet access. ; I could read but not post. ; On the way down to Mount Rushmore, I came upon a couple of Pronghorns. ; The only North American antelope.

Pronghorns checking me out.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/400s, f/10, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 300mm focal length.

This shows the grasslands the Pronghorns live in.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/400s, f/10, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 300mm focal length.

Here's the female at full gallop.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/1250s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 300mm focal length.

I then switched to a slower shutter speed for some panning shots like this one.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/40s, f/32, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 300mm focal length.

19. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Pretty cool again Scott. ; I was not even aware there were any antelope in the US.

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Is there a unique photo of Mt. Rushmore to be had? ; I heard every shutter sound at the memorial and it is a slow time. ; Thousands were taken in the few hours I spent there. ; One evening and one morning. ; If you want great light on the presidents, you want to be there in the morning. ; Evening is much harder as the light is coming from behind the mountain. ; Tripod is necessary after the mountain is lighted after a half-hour ceremony consisting of a 30 minute movie and talk by a park ranger.

So, here is my view of Mount Rushmore.

Classic day shot.
    [​IMG]

Walking to the Grand View Terrace.
    [​IMG]

The whole mountain.
    [​IMG]

A couple of photos of George.
    [​IMG]

Profile outlook (turn right when leaving the parking lot instead of going left to Keystone.)
    [​IMG]

People standing and singing the National Anthem at the end of the lighting ceremony.
    [​IMG]

The lighting is not very flattering to the memorial. I need to look at processing these better.
    [​IMG]

Using the old long exposure rear-sync technique. ; Hi, everyone!
    [​IMG]

Taking a page out of the WDW photographer's playbook, waited for everyone to leave to take this photo of the Avenue of Flags.
    [​IMG]

Will add Exif data later. ; Off to the North Unit of TRNP today.