One of my other passions

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Zeagle, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I was able to attend the Gulf Coast Salute a few weeks back and had great access for the weekend. Got a few favorite pics that I wanted to share with everyone. Nothing gets me pumped then to go to a good air show, especially when there are jets kicking in there afterburners. If anyone is interested, I have the rest of the pics posted up on my gallery at http://www.redskynight.net/p154196888 and would love to have any feedback or comments.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Jason these are great shots! ; I will have to try to get to the Atlantic City air show this year and see if I can get any this good.

3. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

those are awesome!

4. HW

HW Member

great shots

5. goofmick

goofmick Member

Awesome shots!!

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Fantastic shots, Jason! ; What kind of focal length did you use?

7. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Those are some Awesome shots. I Love air shows also. The raw power of these planes is incredible.

8. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I miss our air show, which got canceled a few years back due to crowding problems and sponsor problems (fear of lawsuits over the crowding problems). ; It was immensely popular, drawing tens of thousands of folks to the beaches to watch the air and sea demonstrations. ; Unfortunately, I hadn't brought a camera for a few years, so the last shots I had before it was canceled were my old 1MP camera shots from 1998-2000.

Those are great shots - looks like you had a pretty long lens. ; The jets are just awe inspiring...the sound shakes your heart, and tingles the spine. ; I love when they get the condensation breaking on the wings, and when the afterburners light up. ; I've still got soft spots for the old Tomcats (just for the sheer size and power) and Warthogs (my favorite plane), but the maneuverability and speed of the narrower lighter fighters is pretty amazing to watch. ; And a 52-flyover is always cool too!

9. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

10. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Those are fantastic shots Jason

11. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Rog...I'm good for an air show with my Tamron 200-500...I just need an air show to shoot!

(Rumor is our Air Show may come back again next year).

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Awesome shots Jason! ;

Same here... ; The folks in charge of the show thought they could make some more money by moving the show from the Frederick Airport to the Hagerstown Airport which would allow them to have some larger planes (B29 Superfortress, etc) because the runway is long enough for them at Hagerstown. ; The thing they didn't think about was that all of the major sponsors were from Frederick and they all canceled their sponsorship when they decided to move which led to the permanent cancellation of the show.

13. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I haven't been to our local show in New Orleans since I got my DSLR. Will have to do that maybe when it comes around again in October.

14. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

There are two places every airshow fan should go to at least once: ; Oshkosh and Reno.

I haven't made it to Oshkosh yet, but was lucky enough to attend the Reno Air Races several times in the late 80s and early 90s.

If you are able to go to the Reno Air Races (http://www.airrace.org), also try to attend the Reno Balloon Race (http://www.renoballoon.com) the weekend before.

15. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Thanks for kind words everyone ; :)!

I used a Canon 500 f/4 for the majority of the weekend and loved every minute of it. Besides the Afterburners, there is always the smell of Burgers and Hot Dogs that get the senses going too ; ;D . If anyone is near Warner Robbins, in GA, ; on May 2-3 we should meetup at the Air Show.

Jason

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The air over the F-22 jet is awesome, Jason. ; Don't have any air shows around my area. ; Never seem to have my camera with me when the F-16s take off from the National Guard runway at the Syracuse airport. ; For some reason, they don't advertise those. ; ::)

Did see a Thunderbird show many years ago.

17. Roger

I just noticed that there will be an airshow a little north of here in 2 weeks....hmm.

18. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Is it the Dyess Air Show? It should be a good one as it will have the B1, my favorite jet, for a flyby. Also, has the ACC West Coast f-16 demo team. You should go :)

19. Roger

Central Texas Air Show.

So far I see that they will be having an A-10 demo with pyrotechnics. ; It's in 2 weeks but the official schedule isn't out yet!

20. Roger