PIXELMANIA 2012 - wild africa trek

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by gary, Jan 13, 2012.

?

would you be STRONGLY interested in doing the wild africa trek during pixelmania, projected cost per

1. i would do it, prefer 8:45

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. i would do it, prefer 9:30

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. no thanks, i am not interested

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. gary

gary Member

this would take the place of the safari as the official first meet of dak, but folks not going on the trek would be free to form up a posse for the safari ride, length of trek is approximately 4 hours, this would also push back fotlk or nemo until afternoon

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I put for the 8:45 since I will be flyng home that evening, the more time I have the better. ; But I definitely want to do this!

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I put in for 8:45 also but I would be fine with either time. ; Now to start saving my pennies so I can go.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

0845 for me.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

I won't place an official vote since it looks like I won't be able to attend this year, but since sunrise is at 7:10 that time of year, I would go for the earliest time possible to get the best light in the savannah that you can.

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'm down for 8:45 as well. ; Of course, the Tim Team will have their work cut out for them that early. ; ;D

7. Tim

Nah... Got that one in the bag. ;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear that you might not make it this year Michael.

9. Paul

Paul Member

Is this still a possibility? ; I put my vote in just in case.

10. Tim

I would say it's still on the table. Perhaps someone could call and check pricing and availability? And then report back here...

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Working on it now.

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

I called the regular reservations number and found out the following information: ;

They are currently booking tours up through September 22 and didn't know when the December dates would open up yet. ; The regular price is $189 per person and 20 people is the maximum number of people on the regular tour. ; The person I spoke to said that if we would be approaching that number we should talk directly with the folks who run the tour because they handle large group bookings themselves. ; The direct line for the trek is 407-938-1373 and is staffed from 9:30am to 4:00pm every day, so I couldn't get in touch with them this evening.

I will be out of the office a large portion of the day tomorrow so I may not be able to call them until the Saturday, so if someone wants to take over and call them in the morning, please feel free.

13. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

To whomever takes on the "Caller" duties. ; Could you also ask them if they offer any type of "Alternative Experience" where one can experience the private Safari ride and Viewing Station, but not have to strap into the bridgeway (or other parts with weight and mobility restrictions).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

14. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I found this link after posting. ; It does sound like the have an Alternate experience that has to be booked thru the main line. ; Looks like you travel thru Pangani Trail instead of the "rugged trails" and no bridge, but still get the private safari and "snack" station/ viewing platform.

That being said... I'm in too.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

15. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for chasing that portion down, Jeff. ; I or whoever calls should still ask if you need to do anything special to book the alternate tour and then join the group for the safari if we end up boing a group booking.

16. Tim

Yes, please find out and report back and we shall chat. ; This might be awesome if we can get enough people on board.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

In case anyone calls before I get a chance, we should also find out the dimensions of the lockers so we know if our camera bags will fit or not.

18. Paul

Paul Member

19. Paul

Paul Member

I called the number Mike posted and spoke with a cast member who provided a bit more detail:

Large groups are broken up into no more than 12 people per group, if we had a large group who wanted to attend, they would break us up, but would place us in back-to-back tours separated by roughly 45 minutes. Total tour time is 3 hours, with food served about 2 hours in.

There is a 300 lb. restriction which Mike referred to which means an alternate hike (which is the first half of the tour) is seutp those folks. ; This hike does not include the bridges, etc. ; The cast member did not say this alternate hike was on the Pangani trail so I think it is within the reserve area.

After the hike portion for any group, a Taste of Africa is when you eat. ; After this the Safari ride is conducted and this is identical for any group, restricted or not.

Cameras, sunglasses and hats are normally all that is allowed on the tour. Lockers are available for storage, but cast member did not know sizes. ; She did indicate there are three different size lockers available. ; Bags are not allowed on the tour and straps for all cameras are required. ; Sounds like if you want a lens change you might need to carry it in your cargo shorts. Basically they do not want anything loose which could fall into animal areas.

Cost is $189 per person, no large group discount, no AP discount.

First tour is at 8:00 am and last tour starts at 2:30 pm, rain or shine. Severe weather cancels tour and full refund is available.

The cast member indicated they have opened reservations for the remainder of the year, so as soon as we know we can book whenever we want. Anyone with food allergies needs to let CM know when booking.

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for chasing that down, Paul. ; Since the main reservation line and the cast member at the tour gave two different dates, maybe they book the group tours farther in advance of the regular sales so they don't overlap group sales. ;

Did they mention anything about payment? ; Is this something where we can hold the tour time slot and everyone calls in and pays for their tickets individually, or do we have to collect all of the money and pay them in one lump sum?