Pixelmania Prep!!!

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by jbwolffiv, Oct 1, 2016.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

So the preparation has started. Cleaned the sensor as there was a ton of oil and I was tired of cleaning most images of that stuff. Next up is planning what gear to bring (all of it, stupid!). Of course I have 3 days of sub plans to create as well, those 10 year olds can fend for themselves!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mSummers and Joanie Eddis-Koch like this.
  2. I sent my 24-70 f 2.8 to the shop to be fixed. When wide open the right side was slightly blurry. Never been dropped or mishandled so I'm thinking it might have been wear. I should really test that lens before I go but I'm thinking if they didn't fix it it's not fixable. That lens is the workhorse with 4 years of use. We shall see.

I sent out the D4 for a sensor cleaning 3 weeks prior. Because of the special, no fog, coating on the sensor it doesn't play nicely with the traditional sensor cleaning substances. That's not something they tell you about the D4. You just try to clean it yourself, make a mess, take it to the local shop, they use the same swab you used and they make a mess, then you wise up and send it to Nikon.

I have a new HUGE lap top (MSI) that barely fits in my rolling case pocket so whew on that! I'm thinking hard about taking the 200-500 lens. it's only sharp at between 300-500 but that's where you would use it anyway. I have a shot or two in mind for it but I'm not sure if it will work out. We'll see if it makes it in the bag.

We bought some 1.8 primes (85mm and 28) so I have to try them out at WDW and the 14-24 found it's way in my bag so I am definitely taking that.

I think it's best if I make up a schedule with where I will be on what day and which lenses I should pack in that day's backpack.

Two weeks will fly by in an instant. It's time to get serious!

~Joanie

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

I have my packing list ready! I have to get home from Colorado before I can start any real Pixelmania prep.

Joanie, that's interesting about the coating causing issues with cleaning the sensor. I don't know if they changed the coating between the D4 and the D4s, but I've never had any issues with the Eclipse formula (ignoring the normal oil smears that happen when cleaning new cameras)

4. Ugh... I just tested that repaired 24-70 lens and Nikon did not fix the problem. I have an email into them about it.
    And yes, the sensor in the D4 does not play nice with sensor swabs. After experiencing the problems I had with the local cleaning (home and shop) I will no longer send it to anywhere except Nikon. I especially loved the fact that at the camera shop where I had it cleaned they just took it into a dusty back room and hoped for the best. That shop has since closed. I was ready to go postal when I figured out that the sensor was even dustier than before.
    ~J

5. I am now doing the dance of denial with Nikon Technical support. Karl had to send his D750 in 3 separate times for repairs and they flat out refused to fix the dead electrical problem the last time he sent it in. It took him a number of escalations to finally get to a manager that said "Oh yeah, it is under warranty and we will fix it"....
    WTF Nikon??
    So now it's my turn with the lens.. Into the octagon I go. Nikon is not going to see me coming, Mwa Ha, Ha!

~Joanie

PS I rented a 24-70 f2.8 from Allen's Camera in PA. It's $100 for the 15th -31st. Not bad huh?

mSummers and jbwolffiv like this.
  6. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's not a bad price at all. I'll have to keep them in mind if I need anything.

7. I'm doing in store pick up. They don't ship their rentals. That's probably why they are so cheap.

~Joanie

8. gary

gary Member

camera, check
    couple lenses, check
    coupla nd filters. check
    cable release, check
    coffee camel bak, hell yeah
    i'm done, take me to the airport mama

jbwolffiv and Joanie Eddis-Koch like this.
  9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Somebody remind me to NOT FORGET (a) my camera strap and (2) memory cards. These are things I've left at home on previous trips.

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

@ddindy !!!!!!

Please do not forget your camera strap or memory cards!

11. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.