PM2k12 - New Fantasyland

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Tim, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Thanks Red! After the shot it occurred to me to get more of the fire place but I had to crop out some heads in my composition to make it work. I wound up having to do a lot of head chopping when composing photos on this trip.

2. Here's a head I didn't want to chop off and keep from appearing in my picture!

Attached Files:

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Awesome! ; I have to add this to my list of "shots I want!"

4. Thanks for all the lovin John!

Here's one I found listed in the Orlando Sentinel:
    "For sale, creep! Large mansion with room enough for 999 of your closest friends. Located on a dead end in a quiet neighborhood this house is drop dead gorgeous! All of your neighbors will die of jealousy when they hear about your new address."

[​IMG]
    HM side entrance view by Disney Photography Phanatic, on Flickr

5. Feeling boxed in? Dying to get out more? Do we have the place for you! Drag your carcass over to Liberty square and apply within. We have openings in the casket department. Ask for Captain Culpepper Clyne. His office is very near his shrine!

[​IMG]
    Uplifting HM shot by Disney Photography Phanatic, on Flickr

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

You are bringing it now, Joanie! ; Keep it up.

7. Thanks Tim. Here's one for you. Be sure to check off "Organ Moaner" on your Doom buggy license.

[​IMG]
    Organ Moaners by Disney Photography Phanatic, on Flickr

8. I know this thread says "The New FantasyLand" but there is no thread that is devoted to the Pixelmania meet MK day, so tough noogies!

Here is another shot from the New Fantasylands (next door neighbor!)

I love the fact that I was able to capture a BLACK Bird against a BLACK background. Does it get much more challenging than that?

[​IMG]
    Quoth the Raven "Nevermore." by Disney Photography Phanatic, on Flickr

9. Tim and I decided we had to go on the Haunted Mansion ride right after we toured the FantasyLand expansion during Pixelmania.

This was from my first attempt at photographing dark rides with the Nikon D4. I had read up on dark ride photography techniques from a Michael Besant "Dark ride photography tips" article I had seen in Scott Thomas’s blog. I had a DX sensor, crop 35mm 1.8 lens that I was using on these rides to maximize the advanced light sensitivity on the D4's sensor. The only problem was it was a a crop sensor lens, so that meant a much smaller capture area on the D4 versus the D90. When you look through the D4 with a crop sensor lens attached it will show you a somewhat brighter rectangle that demonstrates what would be in frame. This is surrounded by a darker rectangle that shows you what is not in frame.

The only problem with this set up is that when you are shooting on a dark ride it's REALLY hard to see exactly what is in frame. It was beyond comical as I was firing away, not quite sure what was in frame as the Doom Buggy whipped me from side to side. When I finally got the chance to review the images I was pleasantly surprised that I got a couple of things I'm not sure I ever saw with my own two eyes. This was one of those shots.

I try to explain to my non photography friends what a challenge it is to shoot on the dark rides. You can't see what you are doing with the camera controls and you never stop moving, so by the time you get the camera set you find yourself whipping past your subject or being turned away before you are ready. It is the ultimate insanity and a ton of fun. I could ride the same dark ride all day and find new things to try for with my camera. My point and shoot friends just smile and nod at me. They have the good sense to put the camera down and enjoy the ride. Not me! I'll be happy looking through the viewfinder when I'm on a ride and experience it that way. That's what is fun for me!

[​IMG]
    tapestry of terror by Disney Photography Phanatic, on Flickr

10. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Nice shooting Joanie. ; I love that antler chandelier shot - I've also got to add that one to my list.

11. Thanks for the compliment Justin. I've been a long time admirer of your work so it means a lot.
    ~Joanie

12. I think it looks a little better with a touch of grain. These guys may be smooth operators but there is something not quite right when you process this too cleanly. I also love their enormous, out sized thumbs. They are totally worthy of any hitchhiker!

[​IMG]
    Hitchhiking ghosts by Disney Photography Phanatic, on Flickr

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great capture Joanie! ; I try for that one every time and usually get blurry blue stuff! ; Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Pops

Pops Member

My complements to all who took all of the above shots. My attendance at Pixelmania has done wonders to improve my photography. Certainly a talented group of WDW photographers in attendance! ; I really was not happy with much of what I shot at the Fantasyland Expansion walkthrough.

[attachimg=1]

I was lucky enough to be at the right spot when Jody Benson was interviewed.

[attachimg=2]

I got home and had my first copy of Celebrations Magazine waiting for me and found Tim had shot the same pic.

I encourage any of you who do not have a subscription to sign up for Celebrations Magazine. I loved my first issue and found some really interesting articles and great photos.

Garry Rollins

Attached Files:

15. Tim

On behalf of Tim Foster and the rest of the Celebrations Team, I thank you for your kind words. ; It's a HUGE project.

16. Don't be too hard on yourself Garry, I think you are doing a great job. I find that I have off times when photographing certain areas or subjects. Sometimes it may be the light that is available or there are too many people in the way of a shot I want to get. The good news is that we will be back again eventually and we'll get another shot at capturing something we see at the parks.

That shot you got of Jody Benson is a MILLION DOLLAR shot BTW. Truly awesome framing and beautiful bokeh!!! You just NAILED it!! That's the kind of thing that you won't ever see again on a future visit to the parks so kudos to you for recognizing the opportunity and nailing the shot.

17. Tim

I agree.