rentglass.com

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Scottwdw, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Has anyone ever used this site?

RentGlass.com

I'm drooling over some of the fast lens I could get for my next trip to WDW. Any other places like this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gary

gary Member

i just used www.lensrental.com. over in the dark ride thread i have a post with a few comments and a link, i had a very positive experience
    gary

3. MagicMeets

MagicMeets Member

Rentglass happens to have been started by a very good friend of mine. His business model was designed and deployed well before others came around and started shops with his same idea. Not to say he is the best because I'd be partial saying that but he's definately at the top of a short list.

If I can answer any questions or put him in touch with you, just let me know.

Take care,

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

RentGlass just opened up their used equipment store if anyone is interested:

Rentglass Used Store

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

prices look to be about 20% or so off retail.

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

rentglass.com never has the lens I want in stock and, so far, I have not been quick enough when I get notified when a lens does become available. Wish they'd offer a reservation system. I'd pay extra to get the lens I want!

Anyway, I searched around and found two more places which do offer reservations and/or estimates for lens rentals:

http://www.ziplens.com/

http://www.lensprotogo.com/

Anyone have any experience with these places?

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, I had no idea that there was a service out there like this. I can't believe that they actually rent lenses. I might have to seriously look into this.

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Actually your local "pro" shop may have a rental department as well. I was lucky behind the Orange Curtain to have a good selection of lenses to rent. Of course that was when the 300/2.8 (no IS) ruled, and the 24-105 was only a dream, and 28-70/2.8 was the standard pro lens.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I just checked back with lensrentals.com and they had the lens I was looking for with a date which might work. So, I placed a rental order for a Tokina 12-24 f/4 PRO DX lens. If it comes when they say it will (about September 27/28), I'll have a week of (hopefully) beautiful fall colors to point it at. ;D

I've been debating on whether to buy this lens since I have the 18-200 VR. I want to see if the extra wide angle is worth the price. So, for 10% of the cost of the lens, I'll have a week to find out.

BTW, the link in Gary's post is wrong, it's www.lensrentals.com

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

let us know how that lens performs. I have also been looking at that lens. its half price of nikons 12-24. I'm with you about the 18-200, but I would love to use 12mm in the contemporary or world showcase or...

11. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Scott - please let me know your experience. I'm still on the fence about whether I'm going to buy at Canon 17-40 L to take to a Napa trip in October, or whether I'm going to rent it. If lensrentals is a great experience for you, I might save $550 and wait.

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The Tokina lens came in yesterday! I'll write up a full review in the Equipment Reviews board as I use it over the next week.

BTW, lensrentals.com is great! They had a problem with my credit card (I had swapped two numbers) and they emailed me last weekend. I called them late on Sunday and they answered the phone! We got the numbers straight and they shipped it out FedEx ground the next day to make sure I had it before this weekend.

The lens came in a square box with lots of cushioning shipping material. Nothing lose so it will be easy to repack. A return shipping envelope is included. Again for Fedex Ground. The lens itself came in it's own pouch which has a belt loop and a snap hook for easy carrying. The manufacturer's hood was also included. No scratches on lens or markings on the outer hull. Looks brand new.

13. PolynesianMedic

Sounds good so far, looking forward to that write up.

14. Roger

I just used lensrentals.com too.

My son's first Cub scout camping trip is next weekend, and....

we were able to get on the Cub scout vanishing Texas river cruise; and they announced last night that they have seen a baby Bald Eagle learning how to fish on Lake Buchanan/Colorado River. Not sure how often we'll be able to see a Bald Eagle "in the wild", so it's the perfect reason to get a little longer glass.

15. Roger

Lensrentals.com

Roger over there is very nice and responds very quickly to email. I ordered my lens on Friday, I got it yesterday. We even had a brief discussion via email on the lens AF microadjustments (Since I needed to put the lens, plus lens + TC through the microadj).

The lens was perfectly adjusted and I didn't need to change a thing, is in great shape. Now the question is what lens do I need for February.

16. PolynesianMedic

I just placed an order for this - Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Optically Stabilized through LensRentals.com. I figured since I am going to Disney next week I might as well have an "All-in-one" lens to make my life easier in the parks. I am going to be there with my son, and since it will be just the two of us, a one lens solution was thought to be the best. Since this one, covers me almost identically over the two lenses I have, 18-55, and 70-300, I thought I would give it a go. I'll let you all know what I think of this after the trip and of course will post some pics once I get back.

I was wondering though, is there anything special that I might have to do once I get the lens? Or is it simply a "plug and play" type of thing? Thanks for the info.

17. Roger

Plug and play. My bet is that if they are renting it, you won't have to worry about it not working (Canon and Nikon's lens mounts are proprietary, so Sigma, Tamron, Tokina have to reverse engineer the mounts. Canon's latest digital SLR bodies have problems with older Sigma lenses, which Sigma may fix.)

Basically put it on and take pictures.

I was discussing something that only the Canon 1D(s) Mk3 and Nikon's D3/D300 has, which normally isn't a problem.

18. PolynesianMedic

Thanks. The lens came today, and it is a bit heavier then I expected. It is also a bit nosier when focusing but that is not really a big deal. The range is nice to have, as a "one lens solution". I am a bit out of touch when it comes to lens hoods and was hoping someone could set me straight. Is it best to leave it on for all daytime shots and take it off at night for nights shots, as well as indoors? Thanks for the help. I will be posting some photos when I get back, and also from before we leave, if I have time to do so.

19. Roger

I fixed your question. My answer is yes. It sounds hard to believe but digital sensors are more prone to flare/ghosting etc than film was. That's why there are the new "designed for digital" lenses.

It doesn't hurt to use it all the time.

20. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Re: lensrental.com

I just reserved from lensrental.com the new Nikon 14-24 2.8 for my trip in August. I can't wait to try this lens out!

lensrental.com nikon 14-24