Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Attended the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen at Watkins Glen International with Dave and Gillian yesterday. ; With the race lasting six hours, got in plenty of panning practice with a few keepers.

Anyone recognize this car? ; Maybe from a movie?

[​IMG]
    Need For Speed by Scottwdw

A Daytona Prototype Corvette flying down the front straight.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/200s, f/13, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 135mm focal length.

Yep, you see that right. ; Still waiting for my D700 to get back from Nikon so dusted off the D70. ; The weather was perfect for this camera and lens combo.

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice work with the panning! ; I have no clue where the first car is from.

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

Nice! I love that track. I got to drive on it during a few track events there with the BMW and Porsche Clubs.
    What happened to your D700?

Erich

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's a clue...it is the race version of the Audi R8.

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I have yet to ride or drive at WGI. ; Someday! ;

During my last trip to WDW, a spring which flips up the mirror on the D700 broke. Luckily, it lasted until I was about to leave. ; Have been using a borrowed D700 the last couple of weeks which I had to return. ; Hoping it shows up soon as it's been about a month and I have already agreed to the repair estimate. ; Hae everything cleaned and tested, too.

6. ELinder

ELinder Member

Ouch. That isn't covered under the warranty?
    Lots of drivers clubs run there on weekends. I'll bet you could trade a few photos of people driving their cars for a ride-along.

Erich

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I missed this shot for the Daytona Prototypes but did get the GT winner.

Robin Liddell in the Number 57 Stevenson Auto Group Chevrolet Camaro takes the checkered flag for the GT class at the Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/2000s, f/4.5, ISO 1000, EV +0.3, 80mm FL, cropped.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

It would have been IF I had bought the camera new. ; Since I got it used, it is not covered.

Will check with my local mustang club. ; The NY/PA clubs usually rent out the track once a year.

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Was the race version of the Audi R8 a "Jazzy" car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Do not understand the reference but I do know that is not what I am looking for.

Last hint, the guy is a rich inventor.

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Iron Man?

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

The reference was to Transfomers, but found out that the Autobot Jazz was a Porsche in the comic and a Pontiac Solstice in the movies. ; However, Decepticon "Sideways" WAS an Audi R8 (3rd movie).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Nice shots, Scott. ; When I saw your photos from last week's trip to the Glen, my first thought was "Who cares about waterfalls when there's a race going on?" ; I now stand corrected, the race was a week later.

I prefer ALMS to Grand-Am, but when I found out the Grand-Am race here in Indianapolis at the end of July starts at 4 pm, I ordered a ticket right away. ; Too bad the sun won't set until after the end of the race...

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Does IMS have lights for the road course, Dennis?

There was a lot of chatter about Indy during the cautions last weekend. ; They are having tire testing there this week for the Grand Am teams.

15. ddindy

No lights at Indy. ; If all goes according to schedule, the Grand-Am race will end at 7 pm, two hours before sunset.

I've been to the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta a couple of times, and the only lights they have are temporary portable lights at the flag stations. ; The cars have headlights to find their way around the track.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

[​IMG]
    Through the Esses by Scottwdw, on Flickr

The (Patrick) Dempsey Racing No. 40 VISIT FLORIDA Mazda RX-8 GT at The Glen
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/1000s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 400mm focal length

Chip Ganassi Racing No. 01 BMW Daytona Prototype with Scott Pruett driving.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/200s, f/8, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 105mm focal length

17. ELinder

ELinder Member

I prefer ALMS to GrandAm too, but oh my, seeing them screaming into turn 1 at Indy is going to be exciting! To my shame, after all these years living in Florida I still haven't been to Sebring for the race. It's on my to do list next year once I have a longer lens again.
    Scott, that D70 is still serving you well. love the shots.

Erich

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Erich! ; If only the upper LCD wasn't busted on the D70 (dropped a rock on it a couple of years ago), I would use it more often as a second body. ; I can get all my info and settings in the menus except for battery life indicator and all my bracketing and shutter settings which can be a pain. ; Currently it is setup up for continuous mode at 3 fps. ; The near perfect weather really helped the slow lens. ;

The small screen of the D70 was terrible to work with again. ; Got spoiled with the 3 inch one on the D700. ; ::)

19. ddindy

More nice shots, Scott.

Erich, I find it interesting that the Grand-Am cars will be running clockwise on the old F1 circuit. ; MotoGP runs counterclockwise and uses a new section of track inside turn 1.

I'd love to do Sebring as well. ; And LeMans...

My dad's been to Sebring, but it was a B-17 training base at the time. ; :)

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

More great stuff Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk