Shots from Antietam

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by mSummers, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

Here's a couple shots from Antietam that I took on Sunday. Since it was very cloudy, the light was flat, so I decided to use Silver Efex to convert them to antique photos to add some interest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're calling for snow later this week... I've got my fingers crossed, because I think that shot of the bridge would look great in the snow, assuming I don't fall in the creek getting there...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Paul

Paul Member

Very nice shots Michael. I agree, a shot of that bridge with snow would look good.

3. Deniz

Deniz Member

I really like the lines of the second one.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Beautiful, Michael. So, you want some snow? There's 2 inches of fresh snow on top of the 3 feet on the ground from the winter so far. Not to mention the minus teens windchill forecast for tomorrow. :)

5. Where do you live Paul. You wouldnt be sayin that if you were here in Chicago where its been showing for about 2 months!

6. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Very nice

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys.

Scott, I'd love some snow... Heck, last January I went to Yellowstone for a week just for the opportunity to shoot the landscapes there in the snow. Anyway, I have a whole list of places around here to take pictures of in the snow, but the weather never seems to cooperate when I can take a day off work to go shoot.

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

those are really nice.
    I really like the second one and the fence that just disappears into the horizon.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Craig

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

did you have to manually create the subtle color, or is that just a one-click part of the nik plugin?

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nope, its was just a one click conversion... Nik Silver Efex has several options for B&W conversions (neutral, push process, pull process, antique, etc.). I selected one of the antique presets and clicked ok. If you want to, you can also do some brightness/contrast adjustment in the plugin and you can even select your favorite film and it will mimic the look of the film (grain, exposure latitude, etc)

12. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots Michael! I love them in this effect! The bridge is screaming for snow, I hope you get it!

13. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

That whole battlefield is sobering; probably even more so than Gettysburg (maybe not the angle/High Water Mark monument).

I love the fence one Michael.

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys!

I totally agree, especially if you've ever seen the illumination.

If any of you are in Maryland the first Saturday in December, you should try to go to the illumination of the park. They place over 23,000 luminaries, one for each of the killed, missing and wounded at Antietam across the battlefield. It is really incredible to see. If you go, get there early. I'd recommend getting there at least an hour before they open the gates, otherwise you could wait for hours to ride through.

15. Roger

Egads, more intense than Little Bighorn.

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Yep. It's the Bloodiest One Day Battle in American History. Here's some stats:

Union:
    Killed: 2,100*
    Wounded: 9,550
    Missing: 750

Confederate:
    Killed: 1,550*
    Wounded: 7,750
    Missing: 1,020

Total: 22,720

*Includes 6 generals killed or mortally wounded at the battle.

I wish I had some pictures of the illumination. Because there are so many people waiting in line to see it, they don't let you stop your car, so its impossible to get any pictures without getting a special permit from the park. I'm going to apply for one this year... hopefully they'll give me one.

17. Roger

That's why I refered to the park as being sobering.

Little Bighorn reference was to the fact that they have marble markers where every U.S. soldier died. They can't do that at most battlefields.

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

I've never been out there... I'll have to go see that sometime.

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

Antietam Sunrise

I went over to Antietam again on Saturday to catch sunrise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Deniz

Deniz Member

Oh wow Michael, I got chills, especially with the second one. Def worth waking up early for!