So who is going to rush out and get a 200-500/2.8 lens, "Gigantma"

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. HW

HW Member

3. Roger

True, but that appeared to be for MF rather than 35mm/APS-H.

4. HW

HW Member

5. Roger

"We did get the attention of some passing cops; not surprising since this rig looks like a bizarre kind of rocket launcher."

You know I had never seen one of those actually in use; I saw it in the Canon Lenses book; they claimed that usually Canon either rented them out or "loaned" them for high profile events.

I don't think they will even make it any more. Not sure though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. HW

HW Member

biggest lens I have seen is the canon 400mm f2.8 L. one sharp lens for sure and at $6500 it better be

7. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

That Sigma lens is hilarious. I want to buy that and take it to the park to scare small children and old ladies with. I'm 6'3" ... think I can handhold that thing ?

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

that is just CRAZY

9. Dan

Dan Member

I always liked this one, known as the "Sigmonster":
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses ... avigator=3

Okay, so it can't touch the 2.8 spec.. but otherwise it's kind of ideal for my current insane desires. Although.. for that price I could pick up the canon 600mm F4 IS, and I think that one wins out in the fantasy lens category for me.
    Ya'know, I just can't see myself using that 200-500 F2.8. It just looks silly. Not all sleek and sexy like that Zeiss monster. It looks as if Sigma were attempting to make a bazooka attachment for SLR cameras.

I have a feeling that this might be designed specifically for sports photographers. For wildlife use I think it'd just be to heavy to haul around, but for sports use you just prop it up on a monopod, and use that enormous aperture to get the background all nice and blurred out.

10. gary

gary Member

the first mental image that came to mind after i saw this beast was of the old rat patrol series, mounting up on a 30 cal mount in the back of a jeep for an african safari
    they will sell a few to wildlifers who work from fixed stations such as a blind, or moonroof type vans
    gary

anyone else old enough to remember that tv show?, who were the stars?

11. HW

HW Member

I watched that show Gary but didn't remember who the stars were. I had to google that answer