Sony A6300 E-mount mirrorless APS-C - Coming soon

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by zackiedawg, Feb 11, 2016.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

As most are probably aware with the announcements on various photography forums, review sites, and Sony page, Sony has officially announced the successor to the very popular A6000 mirrorless camera, and quells the fear that APS-C bodies were no more. Behold, the new A6300!

http://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6300-body-kit

So what, if anything, has been improved compared to the A6000?
    - It's a 24MP sensor, though may have improved sensitivity due to a new copper wire design.
    - ISO max sensitivity has been raised to 51,200 without multiframe ISO mode
    - More OSPDAF sensors - now 425 AF points covering nearly 100% of the frame.
    - Expanded low light sensitivity AF range, down to -1 (compared to 0 on the A6000)
    - RAW now 14 bit (versus 12)
    - Added JPEG Extra Fine setting
    - Expandable Flex Spot focus mode, allowing nearby AF points around the chosen spot to help maintain focus on a target that strays from the point
    - Expanded bracketing options - now 3/5/or 9 frame bracketing modes
    - AE-AF lock switch on the body
    - Much higher res EVF - 2.4M pixel
    - EVF now capable of delivering a live view at up to 8fps for improved panning/tracking when shooting moving subjects in burst mode
    - Adjustable EVF frame rate of 60 or 120 fps for smoother and faster refresh and transitions of movement in finder
    - Digital level added back
    - Silent shutter shooting mode
    - Expanded timer options, now 10, 5, and 2 second with 5 and 2 second shutter lockup
    - Expanded burst mode options, now with 11, 8, 6, or 3 fps
    - Memory recall shooting set modes now moved out to the control dial for easier and quicker switching between banks of settings
    - Added full OSPDAF support when using LA-EA3 Alpha-mount adapters and SAM & SSM lenses. Also adds the same OSPDAF support when using autofocus Canon mount adapters, as with the A7RII
    - 4K video, full sensor readout
    - Eye AF now available in AF-C mode
    - Silent shooting mode can be user-programmed to a button on the body
    - 9 total customizable buttons, up from 7 on the A6000, with up to 64 functions programmable on those buttons, up from 45 on the A6000
    - Better sealing for moisture and dust
    - Upgraded mag alloy body construction
    - Stronger fortified lens mount for heavier lenses
    - Bright Monitor mode, assignable to custom button, allowing EVF to be gained up for framing/composition purposes in low light exposure simulation
    - Minimum shutter speed function now added to Auto ISO controls - now you can set ISO floor, ceiling, and minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO

Lots of nice updates and upgrades, and good to see another APS-C camera after Nikon's D500 recent announcement too.

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You interested?

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I am. Still doing fine with my A6000 - but there are lots of nice incremental updates that I like...most important and notable for me is being able to use the LA-EA3 adapter for my Tamron 150-600mm lens and use the camera's native OSPDAF system - which I can't do now on my A6000. I also am tempted once I see how it does with Canon EF mount lenses through the Metabones adapter...could be nice to pick up a stabilized 100-400mm or something similar. I may wait though for the first users and tests and reviews before I jump, since the A6000 is still doing fine. And since I'm also considering being in the market to replace my DSLR too, I am trying to figure out what gets the priority money from my wallet!

Scottwdw likes this.