Sony announces their EVIL - the new E mount line

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, May 11, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://digital-photography-school.com/sony-nex-3-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DigitalPhotographySchool+%28Digital+Photography+School%29

EVIL = Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lenses

Basically it's an SLR without a mirror (see Micro 4/3 eg Olympus PEN) - it uses either the back LCD screen or a small LCD screen in the viewfinder rather than optics. ; Now, only Canon and Nikon don't have any of these (and I think Canon will be next to market with one)

Rumor has it that they will make an Alpha adapter so you can use your existing Sony/Minolta AF lenses with it.

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I think most of these types of cameras have adapters for other makes, too. ; Would make sense if they want to sell more since Canon and Nikon are still not in the market yet.

Or....Canon and Nikon will finally get smart and come out with a no-frills dSLR and kill the EVIL insurgents? ; Time will tell.

Best news...the ISO range of these little guys.

3. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Re: Sony announces their EVIL - the new E mount li

Being a newbie to this type of camera, does something like this have specifically built lenses or does it take standard DSLR lenses?

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Sony designed a new lens mount for their EVIL system. ; However, as Roger said in his post, the rumor is that they will make an adapter so you can use the Sony/Minolta AF lenses with it. ;

5. Roger

The Micro 4/3 line has these adapters BUT I believe they are Manual Focus only...for non 4/3 lenses. ; (not m4/3, but regular 4/3)

6. Dan

Dan Member

Woah.. I hit dpreview looking for info on the high ISO performance of these sorts of cameras (of the micro 4/3 line at least, since they're built off of smaller sensors I've never entirely taken them seriously, high ISO performance is important to me) and I found a story about Sony announcing an HD camcorder using the E mount lens line.

Now THAT interests me. ; A lens system that's going to be used across different types of cameras. ; As cool as HD video shooting DSLRs are, they're just AWFUL from an ergonomic standpoint.

Woah.. delving back into the headline history at dpreview I see that Panasonic has announced a micro 4/3 video camera aimed at the professional video market. ; So this is really happening.

Incidentally, there is a video camera line from Canon that can use EF lenses with an adapter. ; But as it uses a much smaller CCD (well, three of them) there's a fairly hefty crop factor.

7. Roger

Note: ; I've seen one of the review sites that the Alpha adapter *will not* autofocus on the E mount. ; Does Sony/Minolta AF via the body, not in the lens?

8. Roger

Never mind: ; Sony is aware of the AF problem and are hard at work to solve it...and they think it can be fixed in firmware:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Interview-with-Sonys-Toru-Katsumoto-13659