Sony announces they will open source their E-mount specs

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Wow. ; I can't remember another company doing this: ; Sony is going to disclose to any other company, without fee the specifications for the E-mount, which is used on the NEX mirrorless cameras. ; This means that third-party lenses can be 100% compatible.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press ... index.html

As of right now, Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron and Cosina have announced that they are "excited" or "endorses" Sony's decision.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Awesome news for you, dude. ; That would be a nice precedent to set. ;

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

I like that idea. ; Not only will the 3rd party lenses be compatible, but it should also force the quality of all lenses to increase due to the competition. ;

4. gary

gary Member

this is outstanding news to me, not for now, but 3-5 years from now, this will probably force panasonic and oly to do the same, since their micro4/3 systems are the direct competitors to the NEX systems, and i foresee down the timeline, i can have a high end m4/3 body, and be getting high quality 3rd party lenses that mount right up, no adapter, and no loss of autofocus
    and as an aside, the lumix G1 saw some back country snow shoe use last weekend, so far so good, enough so that i ordered the 45-200 vario lens, it just arrived last night, one of the few advantages to my location is that anything ordered by noon, is out the door on the daily ups trailer that night, and on the truck for delivery next day
    i'll post up a couple lumix landscapes within the next couple days, i hope by the end of march to have a real review posted