Sony drops another bomb, this time, it's their Camera App API

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://camera.developer.sony.com/

So, now, anyone can develop apps that interface with a wifi enabled Sony camera. ; Right now it looks like just the action video camera, BUT the page shows the NEXs coming soon. ; This is really big news- the only other way people have been able to "improve" a camera has been to hack the firmware which would void the warranty. ; This doesn't.

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

That would completely rock. ; It's been a dream of mine to enable a greater range of functions, memory settings, being able to reprogram the video button for stills functions, and so on. ; This should open up more third-party control functionality for those who may want something different from the default. ; Sounds like good news - along with all the new NEX lenses recently announced or rumored to be coming soon, the full frame NEX bodies and lenses rumored to be around the corner, things look good for the NEX line...and surprisingly, new Alpha lenses are still streaming in, which bodes well for those of us still linked to the Alpha line and not wanting to see it end.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Well the full frame NEX isn't just a rumor. Zeiss let the designs and specs slip recently. They are releasing a 35/2.8 pancake and 55/1.8 FE lenses. ; The F standing for full frame. They even mentioned that the 35 was designed to cover a 35mm image circle. ; They even mention that you can select APS-C size in camera like Nikon. Also I think Sony figured out the dual lens mount. The sensor is going to move back if you mount an A lens on it rather than an E. the rumors of that were about mounting Nikon or Canon lenses on these new bodies but we'll see. I think you'll see 4/3 lenses first since the sensor tech for that is coming from Olympus as well as the next prime lens for NEX.