SunPak auto26SR on my Canon 40D ?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Paul, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Paul

Paul Member

My wife had an old Canon AL-1 film camera and I discovered there is a Sunpak auto 26SR flash unit with it. Since the flash unit has a PC terminal connection to it I'm figuring I could use this as an external off-camera flash for my Canon 40D. It came with a 12" cable that plugs into the flash and has the PC connector at the other end.

I have done some research online and will test the voltage coming out of the flash unit, but does this seem reasonable? Supposedly the 40D can handle anything less than 250V via the PC terminal.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yes, it should work. But like you said, test the voltage.

3. Paul

Paul Member

Measured the voltage: 5.37v

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

5. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks Roger, I'll be sure to update before I connect up the SunPak. I still need to build a longer cable. The one that came with the SunPak is less than a foot.

6. Paul

Paul Member

Finally started playing with this a bit. ; I still need to put together a longer cord and update my firmware (scary!), but I did hook up the flash after measuring the voltage and it works fine.

I am trying to read thru the material on The Strobist site to learn how to use the flash in manual mode. ; I'm struggling with it to say the least. ; Any tips would be helpful.

I have an old tripod that work was getting rid of, so I might try to mount this flash on there to get some off camera lighting effects. ; Just need to figure out how to mount it. I found this item from Bogen which may help.

7. mPower

mPower Member