tamron or sigma superzooms

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Deano, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Deano

Deano Member

i'm thinking of a new walk around super zoom lens, and i've a budget of around £400, so i've been looking at the tamron 18-270 and the sigma 18-250.

both are superzooms and both have vibration reduction, but for every good review of one i find a bad review recommending the other

has anyone used or own either and what would they say

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i have used a few siggy's over the years and liked them all. ; no experience with tammy's. ;
    i really love my sigma 50-500 OS but that one might a budget buster for you.

Click here for details

3. Deano

Deano Member

i've messed with one of them down at my photography club, very nice piece of kit but way outta my price range ;D

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I shoot regularly with the Tamron 18-250, disguised with a 'Sony' label on it (The Sony 18-250 lens is widely known to actually be the Tamron 18-250 optics)...it is a fantastic and flexible lens that I use in nearly any kind of situation. ; Probably 80% of all my Disney shots with a DSLR were done with this lens, including all the animal shots at AK, my recent night shots from last month, and most daytime scenics. ; Though I do like to swap between 7 different lenses, the 18-250 gets the most overall use because of the convenient range and flexibility for travel and walkaround. ; I'd heartily recommend it to anyone. ; I haven't experienced the Sigma version, or Tamron's extended 270mm version...though I have confidence in both lens companies and own lenses from both.

5. CJ

CJ Member

I have a Sigma 70-300 and a Tamron 17-35, I know it's not exactly comparing apples to apples but the Tamron almost always takes a sharper picture. My suggestion would be to rent both (or find a friend who has both!) and try them out before you buy.

Dont get me wrong, I love the sigma and its taken some great photos. Just when I compare shots, it seems to lack a little 'umph' compared to the Tamron.