Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 any thought?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Deano, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Deano

Deano Member

I'm heading back to disney in september and with living in northern ireland i want to get the best of what i can over there. thats why i'm thinking of picking this lens up, i can get it new for around £250 and think it would work well for dark rides like mansion, buzz though stuff like pirates may be a bit to large for it

as anyone used it or any experience, i know ther is a newer version with VC but you really shouldn't need that at 2.8

my kit is currently a canon 60d, sigma 18-250, tamron 10-24 so do you think this would be a good addition.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Can't help you with the lens but welcome back after an extended hiatus.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I know someone who loves this lens for APS-C. ; I've heard good things about it. ; Also heard that the VC model isn't as sharp, but you would be surprised what you can use it for. ; Even 2.8 sometimes isn't fast enough, and VC can be useful without a tripod in some situations.

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 any thought?

I have a Nikon 17-55 2.8, also no vibration reduction, and I find that with my D90 the zoom range is good, but for dark rides it's a bit too slow. Useable, but definitely not ideal.

Erich

5. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Another alternative to the Tammy is the Sigma 17-50 f2.8. I use this lens with a Nex 7 and its great. It's super sharp and had OS (stabilization).