Taughannock Falls State Park in HDR

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Traveled down to Ithaca, New York over the weekend and visited Taughannock Falls State Park. ; Took some bracketed series to produce these HDR images from the park.

Taughannock Falls from the gorge floor viewing area.
    [​IMG]

Taughannock Creek
    [​IMG]

Tree Roots along the Taughannock Creek
    [​IMG]

Taughannock Falls from the North Rim Trail some 400 feet above the gorge floor.
    [​IMG]

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

stunningly beautiful, scott.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yes, gorgeous Scott.

Don't know if/when we'll get colors like that![nb]Live oaks don't change colors, they just go straight to brown and drop in the spring. ; Quickly[/nb]

4. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Wow! ; Great stuff!

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Man oh man is upstate New York beautiful...I miss it! ; Gorgeous photos of a beautiful place.

6. goofy101

goofy101 Member

WOW nice shot!

7. goofmick

goofmick Member

Wow, stunning!!

8. Fishphotos

Fishphotos Member

Oh how I miss the seasons! ; Beautiful! ; The waterfall and the foliage... wow. ;
    Thanks for posting these!

9. Paul

Paul Member

nice work Scott, great color

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Scott, these shots are simply brilliant! ; Nice work, and thanks for posting.

11. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

Wow, simply beautiful....especially the one with the roots...just amazing.

What do I need to do to get pictures of the water flowing like that? I mean, aside from hiring one of you pros, that is? ;)

12. PolynesianMedic

The shutter has to stay open for a little bit to allow the camera to "see" the flow of the water. ; I'm sure someone can explain it a lot better then that.

13. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

How do you set the "shutter to stay open"?

14. gary

gary Member

it's not quite that simple, you really need to get a neutral density filter, 4 stop is about the minimum to freeze/silk water, google nd filters and read a bit, it's a much better tutorial than i can give here

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I wish I did have an ND filter with me but I only had a polarizer. ; To get the maximum shutter speed, I stopped down the lens to f/29, it's smallest setting. ; I got just under a second for the shot with the tree roots. ; The others a bit longer. ; It goes without saying I was using a tripod for all of these shots.

This photo of another much smaller waterfall was an 8 second exposure in a shaded glen. ; BTW, this is not an HDR image but a photo.

[​IMG]

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks everyone! ; The gorges and waterfalls in them I visited last weekend was a photographer's paradise. ; The HDR technique helped pull out the colors and details which I could see but my older dSLR was having trouble with.

17. PolynesianMedic

Scott this other shot, is wonderful. ; I really like this one.

18. goofmick

goofmick Member

Scott, that last shot is very nice as well.

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Taughannock Falls Panoramic. I didn't quite do this right as the waterfall is cut off at the bottom. ; Guess I'll have to go back. ; Darn.

[​IMG]