The first APS-C P&S...from Sigma

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013108sigmadp1.asp

Now, it's claiming 14 MP, but it's really just under 5. It's using an almost 1.7x crop Foveon sensor in a P&S body.

Foveon has possibilities, if either Sony or Canon would work with their technology to get high-ISO noise down.

If it wasn't for the fixed 16.6/4 lens on it, I would love to have this as a backup/P&S just for the Foveon sensor itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

That's interesting, I didn't even know sigma made cameras I thought they just made lenses.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

They jumped into the SLR world a few years ago - they are the only ones using the Foveon sensor. Would love to try it but no one is renting them, and there are NO third-party lenses for it :D. Just Sigma-mount.

I heard that the high-ISO noise is bad as well, but I think at low ISO it's got a lot of Bayer sensors beat.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

isn't that ironic, the king of reverse engineered 3rd party lenses doesn't have any 3rd party lenses for it's own camera body? genius!

5. Dan

Dan Member

Well presumably if their SLRs get popular enough Tamron and perhaps Tokina might get in on the third party action. At the moment I'd guess that there just isn't enough of a market for them to bother.

6. Scott

Scott Member

I would consider this camera if it had a zoom lens.

7. Dan

Dan Member

I'd really like them to come out with a more standard P&S with Foveon. Like the others have said, I'd consider the fixed focal length a problem. It'd make a neat little gimmick camera, being all artsy and having to move walk around to compose the image rather than zoom, but.. I expect the price to be a little steep for such a limited camera.