The joys of impulse buying

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by ddindy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

After a mediocre round of golf this morning, I stopped by Roberts Distributors, the local camera shop, to pick up a ThinkTank lens case so I can carry both my 18-200 and 70-300 lenses at the Indy Air Show tomorrow.

The case I wanted wasn't on display, but the clerk dutifully checked the back room and found one for me. ; He said "That was too easy, give me a real challenge!" ; So I asked for the new Nikon 35mm f/1.8G lens that is on back order everywhere. ; Much to the surprise of me and his fellow salesmen, he tracked one down.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

nice score, dennis.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

VERY nice score! ; Can't wait to see more results.

4. ddindy

Here are a couple of test shots from yesterday.

A peony:

5. PolynesianMedic

Nice shots! ; I really like the mustang one.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Cool!
    I like the Mustang one too.

7. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Count me in for the Mustang too. Very Nice.

8. ddindy

Here's one showing the whole plane:

9. goofy101

goofy101 Member

there great shots of the mustang I really like WW2 aircraft and that is one of the best looking around

10. PolynesianMedic

That new mustang shot is great. ; I had a model as a kid that looked just like that.

11. ddindy

Thanks, guys. ; I want to post some more test shots, but I've been having trouble finding the time and sunlight to shoot them. ; Maybe later this week...

12. ddindy

As promised, here are a few more test shots. ; My car collection is smaller than Jay Leno's (in every way), but I bet he doesn't have a Zamboni!

f/22

13. gary

gary Member

that's a good dof demo, and i had no idea one could get a zamboni model
    i need to try to get to it later this week, maybe i'll test run dof on the 135mm f2 using my collection of 1/24 nascar muppet paint scheme cars, i have the complete collection, including the danny lasoski, animal themed sprint car

14. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Nice race cars...all my style too! ; Old Formula 1, rally, LeMans...I love them all.

I host an annual car show down here, and have been lucky enough to get some of the real ones brought down for display - some of which you may know:

One of the all-time winningest race cars:

[attachimg=1]

And one of the more recent most winning cars in LeMans:

[attachimg=2]

Are your miniatures static models, or motorized? ; I couldn't tell but don't see any antennas on them. ; I've got a few Tamiya remote racers in storage from years ago...a 1967 Mini Monte Carlo rally winner, 1971 Renault Alpine in Monte Carlo rally winning trim, and a few offroad buggies.

[attachment deleted by admin]

15. PolynesianMedic

Nice collection Gary! ; Can't wait to see those photo's.

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Being as that the P-51 has been my favorite plane since I was about 7, that is one amazing shot! ; Thanks for sharing!!!

17. ddindy

Cool! ; I may have to come down and visit some time. ; Several years ago I attended several vintage races. ; I love exotic sports cars like these. ; I never saw a 956 race, but was lucky enough to see some 962s at Laguna Seca and Sears Point in the 80s. ; I'll have to see if I have a shot of the Champion Audi in action; the first place I took my then-new Nikon D70s was an ALMS race at Mid-Ohio.

I have eight 1/18 static models. ; It all started with a Ferrari F40...

BTW you can get the Zamboni model from their web site.

Thanks. ; I have a few more shots from that air show that I want to post as soon as I find the time to do a little tweaking.

18. zackiedawg

Of course, I am using general categories on the win history of the vehicles I mentioned. ; While Champion has won races in their car, the dominance I was referring to was to do with the R8, including Joust's unassailable win record...not to mention the Bentley Speed 8 which is essentially a VW-based derivation of the R8, and the R10 diesel.

And as to the 956, I always sort of include it together with the 962 - since the 962 was more of an evolution of the 956 as opposed to an all-new model. ; I always had a thing for the Rothman colors though...it was one of the first models I ever built.

Champion is one of my sponsors for my car show, so they're usually there with one or more of their cars and the big rigs with giveaway bags and such. ; They are right around the corner from me.

19. ddindy

This is slightly off topic, but hey, it's my thread.

Justin, I found a shot of the Champion Audi in action at the 2004 Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta.

20. zackiedawg

Alright...that's the one they brought to the show!

Too bad Audi couldn't pull off Le Mans again this year - Peugeot put in a great effort the past couple of years and it finally paid off (Plus they caught Audi changing over to the new R15, which had a few hiccups).